Default 203 Subaru Outback Legacy 2.4 - 83k miles

So I talked this dude to $4k Cash over the phone - He just wants it gone. I told him I have have the cash and he will need it to pass Smog before transfer. He was cool with that.

But in these car's - The 4cyl head gaskets go - and they need an engine removal. replace of gaskets, heads milled, new water pump, timing belt, water pump and any bushings while at the same time as access is given for the suspension and steering.

I passed as I got quoted $2450 to have this service done. Am I a fool ... Or should I go for it and pay up front knowing that needs to be done - although the seller has no clue ?

2003 subaru outback limited low mileage - $5500
    2003 Subaru outback limited automatic trans. registration renewed 12/30/15. runs and drives great. low mileage 83k.
    inherited vehicle from family. no need for second vehicle. available to show weekday nights or on weekends. no showing without cash to buy. would like to have a pleasant buy/sell experience where no ones time is wasted. cash only no test drive without cash to buy.

Thanks,
    Dan

Ended up getting the oldest son a 2007 Honda Accord SE Sedan with 5 spd Manual transmission @ 104k miles in immaculate condition and 1 owner for $7700.