Default What's that noise, is it the spring seat again?

Is it the spring seats again?

The first time the spring seat tore it didn't sound like this it only clunked when I entered a driveway or went thru a bump. Now, only when the car is cold and un-driven do I get a hollow plastic sound from the right in front of the glove box. If I drive for 20 minutes it rattles, BUT if you make a stop and let it sit for 20-30 minutes it goes away and doesn't return until its sat overnight again.

The first spring seats I replaced only 2 years ago with the Ipdusa heavy duty seats. The only harsh roads I've driven are the beat L.A. city streets!

Thanks in advance,
    Ed
    07 XC - Ruby Red/Taupe/Touring, Climate & Prem. pkgs

No ideas?
    07 XC - Ruby Red/Taupe/Touring, Climate & Prem. pkgs

Anything I would say would be a guess...

That said, I've seen spring seats, including IPD Heavy Duty, give out in that amount of time. It might be your spring seats...but if it sounds different...well...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

How are the end links and ball joints looking?
    Slightly bent Brake disc shields can make noise too.

i've diagnosed top mounts and end-link on my previous Volvo's by using component-specific grease to help isolate the noise. Adding grease to one set of components per test drive.
    How are your engine mounts? I had a noise that I thought was an endlink turn out to be inappropriately tightend upper-engine-torque-strut-bar-mounts.

Bad strut perhaps
    When the gas warms up it makes noise
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Bad strut perhaps
    When the gas warms up it makes noise
    I'd agree mostly. If the noise changes or goes away when the suspension is used (i.e. increases fluid temp), the strut is about the most likely that it could be. With that said however, I just had a strut mount creak and bind when the ambient temp got below about 0C. Once it got a bit of use and whatever engine heat that went into it, the noise and binding quit. Drove me crazy, especially after taking the strut assembly apart a couple of times trying to figure out what was going on. Once the mount was out of the assembly in cold enough weather though, it was clear it had a spot where the bearing went stiff. Change the mount, noise went away. I've done a lot of struts in my day, but this was the first time I've ever seen this particular problem and the really odd thing was that the mount wasn't that old.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff