Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

i swapped out the pins on the brake shoes for adjustable ones.
    2001 XC70 118000 miles, stage 1 remap 17" aftermarket alloys 225 60 17 Yokohama Geolander A/T tyres

Here's some youtube vids:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t62t5vY_bA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzCfPjMs_CM
    This is a long vid but it gave me a feel for what to expect when replacing the rear parking brake shoes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK7kDYrxKU4

I didn't have a 7mm hex driver socket lying around to remove the caliper bolts so I had to buy a socket set at Lowes (not sold individually). Make sure you have a way/tool to compress the calipers; I was able to finagle a large C-clamp in there but it was kinda tricky. This is from memory so I could be off but seems like when I was removing the upper 15mm caliper bolt on the LH driver front brake, my socket wrench had a clearance issue with the lower bolt of the strut assembly. Removed this lower bolt and reinstalled afterwards. Long needle-nosed pliers helped with the springs that attach to the rear brake shoes.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Thanks for the videos and advise. I have never replaced parking brake pads and hardware before. I'm assuming it will be pretty straight forward. Right?

Dealing with the springs for the parking brake shoes has been a hassle for some people but after watching the video and studying this tutorial, http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/h...-replacing.pdf, it went pretty smoothly for me. There is a technique for reassembling the springs/spacer bar with the new shoes which I don't remember exactly. It's almost like a puzzle you have to play around with but once you figure it out for the first side, the second wheel will be a piece of cake. Also, you may need to adjust the handbrake afterwards as discussed in the tutorial.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles

I replaced the front pads and rotors today. No problems at all. The pads and rotors were quite worn. I accidentally only ordered two of each caliper bracket bolts. So I will pick up another set at the dealer. The guide for the parking brake removal is very helpful. Thanks for posting it.

Maybe it's clear in the tutorial but grab the two small parking brake springs in the center with your needle-nose pliers and PUSH IN to hook/unhook the springs.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles

Well I replaced the rear brakes. The parking brake replacement was a pain. The hardware kit I ordered off of Amazon that claimed that it fits my car doesn't fit. The springs are smaller. The brakes are making a fair amount of noise so I will drive the car and let it break in. The parking brake isn't working So I will look into it tomorrow. Thanks for the help everyone.

Not sure if you've tried to "bed in" the brakes. You can get some general info on the process by googling. It's something like drive the car to maybe 40mph and then brake to 10mph. Do this something like 3x. Also, I remember my new parking brake shoes didn't do squat after I first installed them but there is a process at the end of the tutorial I linked to: "Drive the car at
    30 km/h. Apply the parking brake lever until the car stops. This allows the brake shoes to bed into the brake drum..." I think I had to do this 2-3 times and then the parking brake started to hold the car. I also had to tighten the parking brake cable a number of times before it would engage within the suggested 5-click range of movement for the brake lever.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles

Thanks Xfingers. I have been bedding in the parking brake pads. They are getting a lot better. I still have some noise coming from the pads but I have to drive on the freeway today, I assume that will bed the pads. Thanks for all of the help. It was a pretty easy job.

Yeah, kartboy1234, hopefully that noise you're getting will clear itself up. I didn't get any noise after I replaced my pads and rotors. I'm assuming you applied the anti-squeal paste/lube to the caliper pins and brake pads like they show in the videos.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast