Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Obviously
    A V70-S60R 2004 tranny will also work
    ANY AWD tranny from 2003-2004 should work
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Obviously
    A V70-S60R 2004 tranny will also work
    ANY AWD tranny from 2003-2004 should work
    The part selectors didn't interchange with other years/models which is why I wanted to know more myself rather than relying on the computer and non-Volvo workers only.

I was thinking the AWD parts are outside of the transmission so the trans is independent of it unless there's some computer tuning or mounting differences. So V70-S60R FWD and S60 AWD should work without any modifications? What about S40 or C70 with AW55-50, do they also interchange?

Quote Originally Posted by madymo3d View Post
    I was thinking the AWD parts are outside of the transmission. So V70-FWD should work without any modifications? What about S40 or C70 with AW55-50, do they also interchange?
    Yes, the Angle gear bolts to the outside of the transmission. But the angle gear sleeve attaches onto male splines attached to the ring gear inside the transmission. That male sleeve is not present in a FWD transmission.

Update: I ended up finding a used transmission at Quality Used Transmissions for about $1k shipped with 65k miles on it. Price is good but customer service really sucks. Finally it was delivered after 3 weeks of waiting and they're installing it today. Now they tell me driver side CV shaft is broken inside the circlip. At first they just told me it's broken due to "direct result of the failing transmission intermittently supplying pressure." I asked them for a picture and it looks to me they broke it while removing it as a) transmission does not supply torque in the axial direction and b) there's no way car was driving if it came into the shop in that condition. They want $465 for a new part and $0 for labor since it's part of the transmission install.

My question is given the age and mileage of the vehicle (2003, 181k miles), do you guys think it's reasonable for me to try to get them to 1) cover the whole cost of the CV shaft or 2) ask they knock couple hundred dollars off the total? I should add that I purchased the transmission myself and had it shipped directly to them so maybe they lost part of their normal profit from the transmission rebuild (3rd party). I don't know if they get a kick back from the transmission shop. I always feel bad when bargaining anywhere because that's somebody's wages, it's like asking for money; and in this case it may not be 100% mechanic's fault, just nature of removing the circlip.

Old car, old parts, they break!!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by madymo3d View Post
    driver side CV shaft is broken inside the circlip

age and mileage of the vehicle (2003, 181k miles)

I should add that I purchased the transmission myself and had it shipped directly to them

it may not be mechanic's fault, just nature of removing the circlip.

Under normal circumstances the left axle is simply pried out with a large screwdriver or prybar. Yours has been in there presumably for 12 years and 180,000 miles. In several of the transmissions I have replaced (with less mileage) the left axle would not come out at all - had to send the trans core back with the axle stub still stuck in it.

I would not blame anything but the age of the car and maybe Volvo for not lubricating the axle splines enough when the car was built. (but have seen plenty of left axles pop out while driving also!)

Hope your used part works out for you - and congratulations for finding a shop that would install a customer supplied part without a surcharge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12