Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DIM Failure - Xemodex Plunge

Well, after living with a failing Driver Instrument Module (DIM) in my MY2003 XC70 for almost 8 years now, I took the plunge today and ordered one from Xemodex today. Up until the last few days, the primary indicators of my failing DIM were trip odometers that didn't work, a fast cycling clock (both forwards and reverse), and turn signal indicators that didn't work (they worked on the outside of the car.) However, my son (now the primary driver of that vehicle) has called me twice this week to report additional weird happenings on the DIM such as gauges jumping. At half the cost of a new DIM from a Volvo dealer, Xemodex seems like the route to go. I know others have found them in salvage yards, but I kind of like the "easy" button for some things. They have a few different options for what you can purchase. I purchased a pre-programmed DIMM. Just supply the existing VIN and they program a DIM and ship it to you ready for install. Upon install it self-acquires the mileage from the CEM. Another option is repair and return. You send them your DIM, they fix it and ship it back to you. That's not as expensive an option as the pre-programmed unit, but I opted to go with the pre-programmed unit just because it seems like it would be quicker. We'll see. The DIMM was $449 plus a $100 "core" fee, plus $72 for express shipping. I will be refunded the "core" fee when I ship back the original unit to Xemodex.
    Cheers, Gary

2022 XC60 B5/Black
    2021 XC60 T5/ Osmium Gray (Wife's)
    2017 XC60 T6/ Bright Silver (Loaned to my Son)
    2015.5 XC70/Silver (Loaned to my Daughter)

2007 XC70/Rubyred (RIP)
    2003 XC70/Platinum Green (RIP)
    2001 V70/White (RIP)

My Xemodex DIM, which I purchased and installed in Jan 2016, has apparently failed. I'm on vacation so have it not seen it for myself yet, but my son called me a couple of days ago and said "the entire dash display stopped working" while he was driving. He was able to get home safely and park the car, but he has said that It has not resumed functioning other than the "Urgent - SRS airbag service required" message is displayed. Xemodex offers a lifetime warranty, so I'm not particularly concerned, unless it's something more than just the DIM, like a failing CEM. I did speak to Xemodex tech support last Tuesday and the tech recommended initiating a "hard reset" of the vehicle which he described as disconnecting the battery and clamping the two disconnected cables together and leaving them clamped preferably overnight. He said this forces a reboot of all the modules in the car. Does that sound right? He said reconnect the cables to the battery and then turn the key to position two and see if the DIM functions. He said the hard reset causes all the modules to reboot and clears out any errors. Sounded not exactly right to me, but what do you do when you get a problem with your PC, you do CTRL-ALT-DELETE and reboot it, and hopefully the error clears and you move on.

Car has a 148k miles on it and just last week I plunged $5k repair into it on a complete new exhaust system and new tires. I really hope it's just another bad DIM and not something larger as I really would like to drive this until the wheels fall off, so to speak. It's is a great car and I've had it maintained regularly by the Volvo dealership in Baltimore.
    Cheers, Gary

2022 XC60 B5/Black

2007 XC70/Rubyred (RIP)
    2001 V70/White (RIP)

Gary, it's not necessary to clamp the cables together overnight, that's just ridiculous. You'll drain all the capacitors and ground the system out in just a couple of minutes.

So, turn the key off and wait at least five minutes. Then disconnect the battery. Then wait 10 minutes. Put the key in and turn it to position two. Then reconnect the battery. The technician is correct connecting it in this manner does initiate a module reset. So give that a try.

I find it hard to believe that you put $5000 into the car with just tires and exhaust system. I do understand your desire to keep it running after that kind of investment - but I sure hope you got more than just tires and exhaust
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Astro, thank you. I will try this when I get home this coming weekend. Re the $5k repairs. Last December I had the car in for routine oil change and maintenance and the dealership (which I have used for the past 10 years since returning from living in Europe) told me that the exhaust manifold gasket needed replacing. The service advisor whom I have developed quite a good relationship with told me I could probably get by until summer time and said it would be about an $1100 repair. Cut to two weeks ago - my son is driving the car and he hears a loud bang and watches the RPM gauge jump up and then return to normal. Car drives fine but sounds like a tank (more so than it did previously.) get the car to the shop and I learn that when the gasket finally completely blew it also exploded the catalytic converter and the diagnosis was a new exhaust system to the tune of $3725 parts and labor. Throw on top of that a set of four tires and I'm at $4600 give or take a few. Did an oil change and also had a fog light installed that I had purchased several months ago and planned to install myself someday, but life got it in the way and I just never had (or made) the time. Did the dealer rip me off? Some would say absolutely yes. As I've said I have used this dealership for 10 years and I have, what I perceive to be, a great relationship with the service advisor. I don't feel like I am being fleeced, but I guess one can never be to sure these days. I do think I'm a pretty good judge of character and I just don't get the sense that the service advisor and dealership are out to take advantage of me. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person, but thanks to this forum and people like you I am able to speak to the service advisor on many of the issues around these cars with some level of intelligence. He knows I know a bit about these Volvos. Anyway, more than you probably wanted to hear. Thanks for the response and advice.
    Last edited by gary; 04-27-2017 at 03:04 PM.
    Cheers, Gary

2022 XC60 B5/Black

2007 XC70/Rubyred (RIP)
    2001 V70/White (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    gasket finally completely blew it also exploded the catalytic converter and the diagnosis was a new exhaust system to the tune of $3725 parts and labor
    ouch, indeed the new OEM cat is over $1100-1500 alone in price. 2 mufflers could run upwards of another $800. Parts prices are typically marked up a bit at repair shops as its another profit source.

On the DIM, I fixed an 02 V70XC before with an electronic tech reflowing the solder around the big Motorola chip. Earlier year cars after 2000 had a rash of solder problems due to more environmental friendly solder formulation change. Unfortunately, early formulations became brittle and weak with vibration. Its surprising to find yours would fail so quickly. DIM installation can also be little tricky as well with those long springs making necessary ground contacts. Doesn't sound like your problem, just noting the challenge in installation.

Had an 01 V70 where a bunch of the cabin electronics went dead while driving (including DIM as I recall). Hard reset fixed it (make sure you follow the sequence precisely) and the problem never returned. Hoping that works for you.

A quick note on the hard reset. Turn everything off on the climate control as precaution. I use to hear people bricking CCM doing power resets. Maybe they failed to do it properly but just good precautionary step.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Ripped off? Probably not. Hourly mechanical labor rates acc. to the survey at this link: http://wmaba.com/wp-content/uploads/...ATE-SURVEY.pdf were $105/hour a couple years ago. So let's say your hourly rate was in the $120 zone. Depending on how your dealer reckons the charges you could easily rack up a day's rate $960 just in labor. You would have to look at your itemized invoice. Then add to that if you are paying retail for thee parts and you're out a cat and exhaust along with other parts you'd easily hit $5 grand. Manifold gasket at retail is about 41 for my '07 xc70, and a manifold is about $700.- Retail on the converter is around $1,350. The mufflers and intermediate pipe would be about another $800. Add to all that the tires.

Many if not most on the forum would do this work themselves, which would reduce the bill by the labor charge and about 30% off on the parts, if one got them from Tasca or got good quality aftermarket from FCP or IPD. Maybe get the tires from Sams Club. So - DIY I could be wrong but if you back out the tires then I reckon this job might come in around $1,600 to $1,800 in parts all in for Volvo OE parts from Tasca or similar large dealer offering DIYers a trade discount to "dealer wholesale" which is about what a busy shop will pay for a part from a dealer then mark it up to consumers. You could do it for somewhat less getting parts off RockAuto.com but they only offer a non-California converter for around $300.

So, no I don't think you were fleeced, I just think it's too bad you were compelled or forced by circumstance to not do the work yourself. I am similarly compelled to replace hubs under same circumstances and that will easily double or triple the cost of the job. Upcoming I have to do PCV and Haldex servicing.

(
    Astro, thank you. I will try this when I get home this coming weekend. Re the $5k repairs. Last December I had the car in for routine oil change and maintenance and the dealership (which I have used for the past 10 years since returning from living in Europe) told me that the exhaust manifold gasket needed replacing. The service advisor whom I have devoted quite a good relationship with told me I could probably get by until summer time and said it would be about an $1100 repair. Cut to two weeks ago - my son is driving the car and he hears a loud bang and watches the RPM gauge jump up and then return to normal. Car drives fine but sounds like a tank (more so than it did previously.) get the car to the shop and I learn that when the gasket finally completely blew it also exploded the catalytic converter and the diagnosis was a new exhaust system to the tune of $3725 parts and labor. Throw on top of that a set of four tires and I'm at $4600 give or take a few. Did an oil change and also had a fog light installed that I had purchased several. Months ago and planned to install myself someday, but life got it in the way and I just never had (or made) the time. Did the dealer rip me off? Some would say absolutely yes. As I've said I have used this dealership for 10 years and I have, what I perceive to be, a great relationship with the service advisor. I don't feel like I am being fleeced, but I guess one can never be to sure these days. I do think I'm a pretty good judge of character and I just don't get the sense that the service advisor and dealership are out to take advantage of me. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person, but thanks to this forum and people like you I am able to speak to the service advisor on many of the issues around these cars with some level of intelligence. He knows I know a bit about these Volvos. Anyway, more than. You probably wanted to hear. Thanks for the response and advice.

Just to be clear, I don't believe I was ripped off. The point I was trying to make is that I know many will avoid the dealerships for service, especially on a 15 year old car, citing high prices and inexperienced mechanics. I, on the other hand, have routinely used the Volvo dealer in Baltimore to service my 2003, 2007, and 2015 XC70. I've never had a "bad" experience. The service advisor has consistently taken me back into the work bays to explain and show things to me. That didn't happen this time due to my needing to be at work, but I do trust the dealership to treat me right, and as far as I am concerned, they have.

Thanks for the perspective on parts and labor costs
    Cheers, Gary

2022 XC60 B5/Black

2007 XC70/Rubyred (RIP)
    2001 V70/White (RIP)

Just to be clear, I don't believe I was ripped off. The point I was trying to make is that I know many will avoid the dealerships for service, especially on a 15 year old car, citing high prices and inexperienced mechanics. I, on the other hand, have routinely used the Volvo dealer in Baltimore to service my 2003, 2007, and 2015 XC70. I've never had a "bad" experience. The service advisor has consistently taken me back into the work bays to explain and show things to me. That didn't happen this time due to my needing to be at work, but I do trust the dealership to treat me right, and as far as I am concerned, they have.

Thanks for the perspective on parts and labor costs
    I'm with you 100% and probably wrote too much. Audience for what I wrote might be more people lurking and thinking about buying a used XC70 than you, you already know the ropes; I was thinking about the single mother in the other thread who was thinking about buying a used XC for ~$1,300. I am sure if that car is straight and maintained it blew her mind driving it & she's not thinking about the $2,500/year to keep it out of the smelter...

Yes, good point. All makes and models have issues, some more than others and certainly buying a "luxury European" brand comes with higher than normal maintenance costs. I would tell anyone on an extreme limited. Budget that Volvo is probably not the best brand to invest in due to the higher than average maintenance costs. A used car is always a crap shoot to some degree in my opinion.
    Cheers, Gary

2022 XC60 B5/Black

2007 XC70/Rubyred (RIP)
    2001 V70/White (RIP)

FWIW
    Last year my DIM finally failed completely, XeModex, turn around time, very quick, no problems since.
    In the last few months did the DIM, new front ball joints and shocks, cleared the Check Engine Light, new Nokians, and rear wiper motor.
    All work done by my Indy Volvo Service. He uses used parts if I agree so for the rear wiper.
    Sun roof shattered but I believe something fell off an overpass under construction but the sun roof replacement was used.
    I don't believe Volvo Dealers install used parts?
    So I've put aboiut $4k into the 2003 XC70 recently.
    It runs great and is the perfect vehicle for my forays into Chicago.
    Cruises great on the Tollway and then bumps along quite well in the shoddy urban environment.
    The City is greatly decaying and an XC70 is the perfect vehicle for the type of travel I do.
    I put two large coolers in the back with the seats still up and pick up food and supplies for a few weeks.
    When I'm done it's an hour or so back to Wisconsin and sanity in our small Town and dead end road.
    Illinois Tollway cruises at about 80-85 mph in the hammer lane.
    No problem for the XC70!-Richard
    Last edited by budrichard; 04-30-2017 at 09:20 AM.
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast