Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'm guesstimating 3000 miles on the new QuickStruts and they're clunking too. Absolute ****e. I'll get OEM parts and do it right soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend View Post
    I'm guesstimating 3000 miles on the new QuickStruts and they're clunking too. Absolute ****e. I'll get OEM parts and do it right soon.
    Interesting. I have about 15K kms on my Pro Parts Struts driving over some of Nova Scotia's "finest roads" (well, actually more like forest tracks sometimes) and they are holding up just fine. I did have to replace one of their strut mounts but I am not certain it wasn't impact damage. I've had to do the same thing with Lemforders in past as well. Other than that, pretty much like stock Sachs.

As far as your clunking, make sure it isn't things like sway bar links, ball joints, A-arm bushes all of which will produce clunks and all of which I've run into here.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Perhaps FCP's Sachs ones are better. 3000 miles is ridiculous, I'd send them back to FCP and get their take.

Great feedback Bill. Also, I'd check for missing spring on calipers, can cause brake pad clunk as well.

Quote Originally Posted by billr99 View Post
    Interesting. I have about 15K kms on my Pro Parts Struts driving over some of Nova Scotia's "finest roads" (well, actually more like forest tracks sometimes) and they are holding up just fine. I did have to replace one of their strut mounts but I am not certain it wasn't impact damage. I've had to do the same thing with Lemforders in past as well. Other than that, pretty much like stock Sachs.

As far as your clunking, make sure it isn't things like sway bar links, ball joints, A-arm bushes all of which will produce clunks and all of which I've run into here.

Cheers,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billr99 View Post
    Yep, I went through all that with the first set of new QuickStruts. As I had replaced sway bar links, ball joints, inner and outer tie rods and the struts - I couldn't imagine it was the struts. I thought it might have been the subframe bushings (nope).
    I finally narrowed it down to the struts. The issue was that when cold, they'd clunk and they'd "warm up" relatively fast and then go silent.
    When I pulled them out, the bearings were very hard to turn.

I got the second set of new QuickStruts and put them in... in September/October (don't recall exactly) and when it was 23F outside or even just in the 40s, these things clunk a lot, until a few minutes later.
    I am betting that the bearings will be shot when I pull these ones out too.

I'll order OEM bearing plates, seats and struts and reuse my OEM springs and see what happens.

Maybe go with the Sachs version?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...chs-sac-033085

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend View Post
    Yep, I went through all that with the first set of new QuickStruts. As I had replaced sway bar links, ball joints, inner and outer tie rods and the struts - I couldn't imagine it was the struts. I thought it might have been the subframe bushings (nope).
    I finally narrowed it down to the struts. The issue was that when cold, they'd clunk and they'd "warm up" relatively fast and then go silent.
    When I pulled them out, the bearings were very hard to turn.

I got the second set of new QuickStruts and put them in... in September/October (don't recall exactly) and when it was 23F outside or even just in the 40s, these things clunk a lot, until a few minutes later.
    I am betting that the bearings will be shot when I pull these ones out too.

I'll order OEM bearing plates, seats and struts and reuse my OEM springs and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike View Post
    Has anyone installed these?

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike View Post
    Hmm these weren't available about 3 months ago when I did my struts. I'll have to go back and look at the price of the assembled strut vs. the components. Assembling the strut wasn't hard at all, so I don't know how much effort it would have saved. The rear is the pain compared to the front.
    Current: 2004 Volvo XC70 Black/Charcoal | 2010 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.4 | 1985 Bigfoot 17' trailer | 1969 Porsche 912 with 911 power | 1969 Mercedes 280 SE coupe
    Volvos past: 1975 245 | 1978 245| 1978 242 DL | 1980 242GT | 1984 242 GLT | 1990 245 x2
    Other cars past: there's not enough space.

Quote Originally Posted by 912R View Post
    The rear is the pain compared to the front.
    Piece of cake with compressor like that:

2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Where is this spring compressor sold?
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast