Unhappy 2001 Volvo XC70 with wire damage.

I am going to buy a 2001 Volvo XC70 from a friend of mine. A rat got into the wiring and caused a mess. The car will run good until you turn it off, but then it is very hard to start, if not impossible. The only way to get it going is to jump it, which is very inconvenient. Has anyone else run into this problem or have any ideas on how I could go about fixing it? Is the car worth buying?

First of all - if it's worth buying depends on how bad the damage is.

From what you describe, I would suspect one of the cables leading from the battery to the starter has been chewed and reduced in diameter.
    That way, your starter would not get enough juice from your battery to turn the engine at the required speed.

I'm guessing you jump-start it from the engine compartment, not from the battery in the boot?

So before you buy it, look for the damaged cable - make sure it's easily accessible and repairable (you'll probably need to cut off the damaged part and solder in new wire).

Research the 2001 transmissions.

Test drive it for a half-hour or more so the tranny can get good and warmed up. Then accelerate and see how it shifts thru the gears. If you've got steep hills around, drive up those. Some trans issues don't rear their ugly heads until the car is warm.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Run, don't walk-away...
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000