Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hi all. I wanted to add on to this old thread as I just fixed my door handle on the drivers door and have not seen this specific fix in my searching.

So I used a large office binder clip and two pieces of Scotch extreme padded double sided tape.

So my logic here is the binder clip is just the right size to open up and grasp over the broken clips in the door panel that holds the release cable. Also I used a piece of Scotch extreme padded double sided tape on the top and bottom to give something for the binder clip to get some traction on.

I am pretty sure once the door panel is put back on the small space in the door will actually trap the binder clip and not let it back off. Plus the scotch extreme tape should also help the clip from vibrating and backing off.

I hope this helps others with their broken door handles.

1. put scotch extreme double sided tape or equivalent on top and bottom of door latch cable device.
    2. open large binder clip and put over the door latch cable device holder.
    3. remove binder clip levers.
    4. put door panel on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clip view 1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	8722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scotch-extreme-padded-tape.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	8723Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tape-one-plastic.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	8724Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clip view 3.jpg 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	8725Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clip view.jpg 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	8726
    Last edited by antwerx; 07-25-2018 at 09:49 AM. Reason: clarity and grammar

Thanks. Ingenious. I'll have to keep it in mind. Looks like it ought to work for quite some time. If not please let us know.
    '04 XC70, Ash Gold / Taupe, Premium, Touring, Tinted Rear Glass, Rear Skyddsplåt, Wing Profile Load Bars, USA Spec 11,
    StonGard Light Protection, Yokohama YK740 GTXs, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, ipd HD TCV, subframe & top brace poly bushing inserts,
    TitaniumTim XC Cup-holder Coasters.

Just waking up this old thread. Driver door handle broke on my wife a few days ago. Same problem as many have had. One of the grabber wings on the black plastic socket had broken right off and the other was about to. I did the same style of repair which Hoonk did using nails from pop rivets. The main one worked out really well as I had the perfect amount of misalignment to be able to spring/force the nail into place yet have it hold strong after releasing it. I hand drilled the holes using a 3/32" bit in a pin vise.
    Objects in closer are mirror than they appear.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123