Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Between lunch and classes, I bought myself XC90 Axle bolts and loctite (blue). Car will sit for 24 hours to let the loctite cure.
    Will update with the results.

Replaced end links...Still a clunk.
    Suspension and steering rack checks out at the local Volvo Indi'.
    Decided to check the upper torque mount...found several lock nuts to be loose.
    Tightened them up...The Clunk is gone!

Thanks for all of your help!

Default Whirring noise fix for me....

This is what I replaced to quiet my car down... http://www.ipdusa.com/products/6920/...0-s60-xc70-s80

Little brass pickup tube inside falls off causing the fluid not to circulate properly. Cheap and easy fix.

Look inside with flashlight and or use some to poke around inside reservoir and see if the tube is off.

Quote Originally Posted by Iroll_ View Post
    Darn, I'll start budgeting for it.

Update on the noise:
    With the car standing still , I can replicate the noise while the car is on or off. It happens when the steering wheel is turned to the right, 1.5 full turns before full lock.

I had the hood up and I was able to hear the noise from what appears to be the middle of the car. It's very subtle with the hood up. With the hood down, the noise seems appears to echo.
    I'll have a helper help me isolate the noise this weekend.
    04 XC70 Silver w/ Graphite Leather, Premium Package,Touring Package,Integrated Booster Seats,Xenia Wheels, ipd upgrades, WR G3 SUV Nokians, NEW Angle Gear, ipd HD End-Links: 162k
    12 Honda Pilot EX-L
    04 Acura TSX (sold)
    98 Jetta (sold)
    98 GTI VR6, GIAC tuned, Jetex Exhaust (sold)
    87 Jeep Wrangler (sold)

Did the symptoms of your faulty power steering res' get louder with speed?

Quote Originally Posted by Iroll_ View Post
    Did the symptoms of your faulty power steering res' get louder with speed?
    I don't recall... but its very easy to check the if the tube fell off. Very common failure that is noisy.
    04 XC70 Silver w/ Graphite Leather, Premium Package,Touring Package,Integrated Booster Seats,Xenia Wheels, ipd upgrades, WR G3 SUV Nokians, NEW Angle Gear, ipd HD End-Links: 162k
    12 Honda Pilot EX-L
    04 Acura TSX (sold)
    98 Jetta (sold)
    98 GTI VR6, GIAC tuned, Jetex Exhaust (sold)
    87 Jeep Wrangler (sold)

Are you sure it is associated with the PS pump? What about the possibility of the UAP? That is, the alternator clutch pulley.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Alternator was replaced at 160k, What are the symptoms of a failing alt pulley?

If I put the car in neutral while coasting down a hill, the "whirr" is still present.

I have confirmed that my Power Steering bottle does have it's internal mechanism in tact.

I appreciate all the help guys, this 'whir' is driving me nuts.

As I was digging around the engine bay, I did notice that my ECM box is missing a screw that attaches it onto the frame of the car (top right in the photo).
    Anyone have any idea what size this bolt is?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Box-Figure-41.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	7517
    Last edited by Iroll_; 10-28-2015 at 06:44 PM.

There are so many things that can cause that whirring noise, it'll absolutely amaze you. A bad wheel bearing can make a whirring noise, the turbo can do it, the transmission, the the power steering, the alternator, the blower fan, all can cause that type of noise. I had one person ask me one day how the blower fan could make a whirring noise........ They were pretty surprised when I took the outside vent grille off and using an air hose, blew out the leaves and debris that got into the blower housing..... and wah la, no more noise. You just have to try and track the noise down, personally, I would start by taking the serpentine belt off and run the engine for a minute, if the whirring is still there, then you know it's nothing being driven by the belt. For wheel bearings, it should get louder when turning one way, and goes almost or totally quiet when turning the other way. Searching out rattles, squeaks and whirring noises is not always easy to find, persistence is what need to have.

Thanks for the help guys, this going to be a circumstance where persistence pays off.

If anyone is curious to know what the part number is for the bolt that holds the housing of the ECM to the frame of the car- it's
    30775089. Size M6x20 available at Home Depot.

Fastening down the ECM didn't have en effect on my 'whirr'. Nice to know that it's now held down properly, especially since it's so close to the serpentine belt.

I had the parking brake shoes replaced (Bosch), the old shoes were completely destroyed. Luckily the hub wasn't damaged.
    While the car was on the lift, I took a look at the drive-shaft. I saw some "splash" marks in the vicinity of the carrier bearing.
    Looks like it could be caked on grease except it didn't rub off on my finger.

The quest continues....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast