Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tips saught on diagnosing a "whirring" noise

After searching countless threads, I find myself more confused than certain.
    I seek the council of the XC tribe-

My XC has a whirring noise that is present from 30mph-60mph. I have noticed that the sound goes away when I take left handed sweepers;
    right handed sweepers seem to make the noise worse. Tires have less than 10k miles on them and have been rotated.
    Even if the problem turns out to being a wheel bearing, I cant tell if the noise is in the front or the back of the car. I want to say front.

Sometimes, I also get a "clunk" or "pop" on certain left hand turns ( below 5mph) , sometimes it feels like it's coming from the floorboard...Related?

Fluids in rear diff and Angle gear- replaced in the last 15k
    Top Engine mount Evolve-replaced in the last 10k
    Lower Transmission Dog bone mount Hutchenson - 10k
    Coolant cap and coolant OEM and G-05-replaced in the last 10k
    Turbo coolant line and turbo dump seals(s) replaced OEM-last 10k
    Transmission Fluid replaced (Toyota TIV)-last 20k
    Tires- replaced last 10k
    brakes-replaced last 25k
    Power Steering fluid ( Pentosin CH11) and Cap- last 10k

Anything I should check before I speculate that one of my wheel bearings is on it's way out?
    Last edited by Iroll_; 10-11-2015 at 10:01 PM.

Could be a CV joint. May be time for an axle replacement. Did you check for any grease from a torn boot?
    2005 XC70 Ruby Red
    2007 V70R GT 477/Nordkap

More than likely a front LH wheel bearing but the "pop" on LH turns could be a ball joint (LH side maybe). I'd suggest giving the entire front suspension a good look. You don't mention the mileage on it but with some of the other work you've done, it looks like time for the suspension.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Duh! My bad. The car is a 2002 with 195k.

CV Boots look solid with no evidence of leaking without any "oil lines" on the chassis to indicate that there has been any leaks in the past.

The "poping" noise on the front left is also very inconstant. Seems to be load and tempature dependent.

Not sure about the history of the car, but all components appear to be Stamped Volvo, GKN and SMI.
    End links appear to be shinier/cleaner than the rest of the components.
    I'll snap pics, maybe you guys will see something that I can't.

Oh for god's sake, your front end is worn out
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

You need to rebuild your front suspension. The pop could be strut mounts, bushings, or balljoints, and at this age/mileage, they're all toast. Get a kit, like this: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...-xcfullfrearly

Do it once, and do it right...you'll be happier in the long run if you just do it all instead of doing each piece and spending weekend after weekend replacing parts piecemeal...

The whirring is the wheel bearing. You need a new front hub, likely the left front. Easy to do when you have the front suspension apart for the rebuild...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (100K, Michelin AS3+, M1 0W40)
    2002 V70-XC (238K, Castrol Edge 0W40)
    2002 V70-T5 (195K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (76K)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Oh for god's sake, your front end is worn out
    100% agree!

I know the roads out that way are supposed to be pretty decent but my view based on the 47 cars I've had over the years is that at 100K miles (160K kms), its usually time to do the suspension. Even if the car has been only on smooth roads after 13 years, things like the shock seals, balljoint boots, etc are breaking down or have broken down letting in road grit, etc. If yours hasn't been done yet, it is way pass due regardless of the brands on the bits involved.

At 382K kms (236K miles), I'm on my third set of front struts, second set of rear shocks, fifth or sixth set of endlinks, third or fourth set of tie rod bits, etc. Of course, we have absolutely crap roads here, although not the worst I've seen but those were in 3rd World countries.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

I would normally agree with your guys on replacing the whole lot!

Compared to my last 850 where I replaced all the components (OEM Volvo), and used those new components for 120k...My current XC doesn't outwardly show it's wear on the suspension components like the 850 did. But I'll admit, if I had the funds, I would just replace the whole lot and not ask any questions-trust me!

With how tough it is to diagnose suspension noises I might end up budgeting for it, or live with it ( provided it's not a wheel bearing), is this a safety issue?

The 'click or clunk' happens on slow right turns and it's heard on the front left side of the car.

Trust me, no matter what kind of roads it has been driven on, smooth or rough... at your miles every part in the suspension that has not been replaced needs replacing... RIGHT NOW!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Darn, I'll start budgeting for it.

Update on the noise:
    With the car standing still , I can replicate the noise while the car is on or off. It happens when the steering wheel is turned to the right, 1.5 full turns before full lock.

I had the hood up and I was able to hear the noise from what appears to be the middle of the car. It's very subtle with the hood up. With the hood down, the noise seems appears to echo.
    I'll have a helper help me isolate the noise this weekend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast