Default engine noise coming inside the car while driving

I have 2007 xc90. I notice while driving that some engine noise is coming inside the car, I can especially hear engine roars if I switch on air conditioning. But even without a/c, I think too much noise is coming inside the car. Anyone experienced this?

Sometimes the steering column boot - where the steering column goes through the firewall - pops up and allows noise into the cabin. Usually happens when the front subframe is moved for steering or transmission work.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    Sometimes the steering column boot - where the steering column goes through the firewall - pops up and allows noise into the cabin. Usually happens when the front subframe is moved for steering or transmission work.
    thanks, how can I fix it?

It's an easy fix. The boot fits on the steering column and then over a 2" diameter hole in the floor that has a lip. You will notice that there should be a spring wire clamp around the entire boot. (If not, then whoever did the steering column or linkage work let is slip off and never replaced it.) Use flat pliers, pinch the spring to wide open position, slide the spring clamp up the steering column out of the way. Work the lower wide end of the boot over the lip of the hole on the floor board. Using the pliers, open the pinch clamp, slide it down over the lip plus boot and release. Note also, the part of the boot that seals on the steering column itself can dry out and make a rubbing noise when steering. Lube it with some silicon grease (a few bucks at Ace hardware for a 1/2 ounce tin) and the noise goes away.

Thank you