I've gotten a lot of great info off this site but (luckily) haven't had to post with many issues until today...

2002 XC70 with 123k mi. purchased in 2013. Was driving up a steep mountain road and pushing the car harder than normal but nothing crazy. When I stopped I noticed a little smoke coming out the front so popped the hood and a small amount of smoke was coming up from behind the engine. There was a fine residue/spray on the passenger side of the engine bay visible on the ps reservoir and plastic box housing the computer modules. I tried to identify the fluid but it was a very light mist on my finger, nothing thick and heavy. Also, the engine fan was still running even tho car was off (hardly ever happens) so I figured engine had really heated up going up the mountain and maybe a little oil residue somewhere was burning off.

About 1.5 hr. later, I get back in the XC and head back home. After about 20 min., my oil light flickers. I pull over to check oil and just before I shut off the engine I see warning message "NO OIL PRESSURE. STOP ENGINE". I get out of car and see a lot of oil dripping from passenger side of engine near the wheel. Oil is all over the underside of car on passenger side and there's even a very light mist on the rear bumper and window. Inside the engine bay, there's more spray on the passenger side and you can see a lot of wetness looking down around the crank pulley area. I'm thinking some oil was propelled/sprayed upward by the spinning belts. Anyway, I pull the dipstick and it's bone dry!

I'm only about 5 min. from home so I walk, collect about 3.5 quarts of oil I have lying around the house, return to my XC and pour in the oil. Now the oil level reaches the very bottom of the dipstick. A good samaritan stops by in his car and gives me 3 qt. of oil. I put in 2 and now the oil level is at full on the dipstick. Drive 3 minutes to get home with no problems but more oil is leaking in the driveway. Check the dipstick and the oil is down almost a quart. I put the XC up on jackstands, remove skidplate, and see a lot of oil on and above the oil filter and nearby vicinity. Of course the skidplate itself is full of oil. No oil around the plug, the oil cooler, or the oil pan gasket. I can't identify any obvious spot where oil is pouring out so I guess tomorrow I'll have to start the engine and take a look underneath. Will report back with more info.

Just a little background. Never had any problems before this with oil leaks. Check oil level weekly. I get good suction with the PCV glove test. Don't have a lot of car repair experience but have been researching on VIDA, this site, Youtube, etc. I'm thinking something major has given way or come unconnected to be losing oil this quickly. Any advice is greatly appreciated!