Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sabas83 View Post
    Try cleaning or replacing MAF sensor? Also check the turbo pipe to make sure it is on tight, sometimes they loosen up.
    that's actually something else that i'v already replaced just forgotten to add it to my original post. but the old one doesn't even look like it was bad to begin with so after i get the new hose's that i need and it turns out that i didn't need the MAF then imma get my money back from it! Lol

ok i just tried out the little smoke test and the only place that i saw smoke come out of was the inlet turbo hose, well not exactly the hose but the cupping that connects the hose and the turbo charge, now is this something that would actually cause the Volvo to now idle properly? because i thought that whole hose was for air intake, if that's the case then it shouldn't madder a whole lot that theirs a crack in the cupping right?
    Last edited by kyvolvoguy; 08-28-2015 at 04:52 PM. Reason: spell cheek, opps lol

Any leak post MAF will cause running issues.

The ECU uses the MAF reading for fueling. If extra air is introduced into the system then this calculation will be off causing a lean condition. A leak in the induction piping (post turbo) will also leak on boost, causing air to escape the system and the engine to run rich.

If you unplug the MAF the ECU will use another strategy to calculate fueling (I assume it uses O2 reading). You will get a CEL, but if the idle smooths out and it drives better then you can be quite sure it's a vacuum leak or a faulty MAF.
    Last edited by Antherzoll; 08-28-2015 at 07:00 PM.
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

like i said to sabas83, the MAF is something that i have replaced on this volvo and forgot to add it to the list of things that i replaced on this original post here, but if it's something that still could be an issue then i'll just return that one and grab another lol, but i feel like it really could be something with the vacuum, so that being said, after i replace that cupping that i was talking about (Part number# 31261370) and figure things out from their.

Quote Originally Posted by kyvolvoguy View Post
    ...but i feel like it really could be something with the vacuum, so that being said, after i replace that cupping that i was talking about (Part number# 31261370) and figure things out from their.
    kyvolvoguy,
    You're welcome for the vacuum label pic. I think if you do have a tear in the coupler connecting the over-the-engine air pipe to the Turbo (the part number you indicated above), it could absolutely be the cause of your symptoms. After trying a new MAF, I still had the same issues as you describe. I found the tear by the oil gunk building up around it. I got a new coupler from http://www.siliconeintakes.com/silicone-hose/ along with the T-Bolt Clamps they sell. I am sorry I can't remember the reducing coupler hose diameters. I made the mistake of trying to measure my torn one while still installed and missed that it was a reducing diameter coupler the first time. Pic attached of coupler installed. Good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140628_144417.jpg  

Ok so i JUST replaced it and it actually sat on idle the way it was suppose to, not at first but it did...
    ... for a good 5 min anyway and then it acted up just as it was, im getting so pissed at this whole thing at this point that it's just not even funny, what exactly am i missing here? when i did the smoke thing, that cupping connecting the hose and turbo was the only thing smoke was escaping from. and it STILL doesn't idle right after replacing. if it wasn't for the fact that i need a car right now then i'd just break the living crap out of that two ton paper weight!

Maybe there's another leak, try smoking it again, might calm you down.

Do you have a OBDII reader, can you read fuel trims with it?
    Have you checked the PCV system?

Antherzoll
    i have access to a reader from a friend of mine, i dont know if it can read fuel trims though,

how would i go about cheeking to see if the PCV system is bad?

Kyvolvoguy,
    Hang in there. Antherzoll could be spot on with the other leak comment. After replacing the Turbo Pipe coupler as you did, mine popped off again and had to be retightened. If the rubber air hose on the passenger side that goes into the intercooler is loose or cracked, you can get the same fluctuations. Happened to me when I didn't tighten the clamp well enough. Also you said you had ETM work done. Could be a loose connection after that work.
    If you take the oil cap off while at idle and place a rubber glove over the oil fill neck, a properly functioning PCV system should cause the glove to collapse into the hole. If you need a PCV cleaning, the glove will inflate. Check at idle and at rpm.
    If you need to do the job, there are kits at FCP Euro and lots of threads with alternative ways to get the job done. Good luck and stay calm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast