Default Replacing Driver Information Module

I'm looking to upgrade my 2006 XC70 DIM with one from an R series (blue gauges) and am looking for input.
    I've read some articles about it, I am planning on getting one from a junkyard and having mine cloned to the replacement so the mileage and codes will stay the same.
    I've heard that the 2003 DIM's were year specific (you could only swap out a 2003 for a 2003) and am wondering if that is an issue with my 2006 or not.
    So far the DIM's I've found have come out of 2004 S60 R's and V70 R's, at the moment I can't locate one from a 2006 hence my question on MY2006 compatibility.
    My plan (pending input) is to get a DIM from a 2004 S60 R, send it and my original to Xemodex for cloning and plug and play.
    Any thoughts?

This might be easier (but it's expensive)

http://xemodex.com/us/product/driver...-8690820-00-2/
    Cheers, Gary

2022 XC60 B5/Black
    2021 XC60 T5/ Osmium Gray (Wife's)
    2017 XC60 T6/ Bright Silver (Loaned to my Son)
    2015.5 XC70/Silver (Loaned to my Daughter)

2007 XC70/Rubyred (RIP)
    2003 XC70/Platinum Green (RIP)
    2001 V70/White (RIP)

Sorry - I should have read more closely. The link I posted above does not apparently work for a 2006. My apologies.
    Cheers, Gary

2022 XC60 B5/Black
    2021 XC60 T5/ Osmium Gray (Wife's)
    2017 XC60 T6/ Bright Silver (Loaned to my Son)
    2015.5 XC70/Silver (Loaned to my Daughter)

2007 XC70/Rubyred (RIP)
    2003 XC70/Platinum Green (RIP)
    2001 V70/White (RIP)

I've contacted Xemodex a few times with this same question and they have never responded, I'm going to try a phone call next. Most of the threads I've seen will just swap out the gauge faces and wire up the lights some how. I'd be real interested to know if this works out.
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

EDIT: My pictures are here: http://imgur.com/a/IoYA9

I put the "classic" faces in my 2006 V70. I picked up another cluster - one that even had the backlight. Sadly, the backlight doesn't get power from my car, so that didn't work.
    I ended up swapping the faces from the "classic" cluster onto my 2006 cluster. The benefit is that the mileage is correct.
    I did have to trim some plastic on my original cluster to shorten some 'stand-offs' to get the "classic" bezel to fit flush, and then I wired the lights with some CAT5 wires to the backlight of the LSM so it's dimmable.

All worked remarkably well.

One thing that made me nervous was getting the needles off the clusters without scratching the faces.
    Also, the new faces aren't translucent so you NEED the overhead lights.

When setting the needles back on after the new face was transplanted, I used pictures to remind me what idle speed was when warm, where the temp gauge was when warm, kept the tank full so that gauge was all the way up and also a GPS to get the speedometer right.
    Once they were tweaked just so, I pushed them all the way down, removed the cluster and put the plastic and all back together.

BEFORE you snap the bezel back in, ensure you don't have any buzzing from vibrations.