Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XC70 Trailering

Default XC70 Trailering

I felt like it was a "big ask" to expect my '03 XC70 to haul our 17' center console 1300 miles round trip to Folly Beach, SC. Especially since it had been totaled by the insurance company a few months ago. But my wife loves cruising the rivers and creeks, looking at the homes and boats and dolphins and assorted wildlife, so I set about making it happen.

The totaled car received a new door, a bit of molding and about $1200 of unexpected suspension repairs. But was eventually re-titled, licensed and pronounced roadworthy. That is until it blew a power steering line two days before vacation requiring one last expensive repair. The trailer was prepped with new wheels & tires and races & bearings. I estimate the boat, motor and trailers weight around 1600 lbs, with minimal tongue weight. The XC got fresh oil and transmission fluid.

It was with some trepidation that I headed south with 159,000 miles on the odometer, unsure it would ever turn 160. I traveled between 60-65 mph the whole way making for a longer than usual trip. I was careful not to engage overdrive per my mechanic's instruction. They had forgotten to re-install the skid plate when repairing the power steering and I reasoned that this might help to cool the engine and more importantly the transmission.

After a week of twice daily boat rides, here's the rig ready for the trip back north. While long, the trip was uneventful mechanically. Average mpg was a respectable 17.6. After making this trip two years in a row I'll only ask this old girl to perform occasional put-in and haul-out duty from now on!

Last edited by STeveZ; 08-12-2015 at 11:48 AM.

Nice
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Nice! Glad you had an enjoyable trip without incident.

IIRC, these are rated to tow 3,300lbs. with a 350lb tongue wt, so you were well within reason.

What are you running for a hitch? I'm only seeing 1.25" receivers listed for these cars. I've been looking for a hitch for mine, but I want a 2".
    Silver '07 Adventure Series

Aftermarket=1.25"
    Volvo OEM=2" (more expensive unless you can find used)

2005 XC70 - 50/35 Tint, Yakima Rack

It's a CURT rated at 3500/350 w/ a 1.25" receiver. Barely visible when not in use. The OEM harness was expensive but installed easily.

Hmm, class 3
    If you're to continue with this folly and expect it to last, you REALLY need to install a transmission oil cooler.
    If no real damage has been done and with these miles, if you expect it to last another season, this must be done.
    And of course more frequent tranny fluid changes
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

How is hauling a 1600 lb load w/ minimal tongue weight folly? Isn't that only half the recommended max for both the car and the hitch?
    As stated in the O.P., this car will only be used at the ramp and for short trips across town from now on.
    But, I had planned to eventually move this hitch to my '07 XC70 so I'm curious if a cooler is really necessary if this is the heaviest thing I plan to pull?
    Thx!

Cooler is generally a very good idea for this transmission.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

ANY towing with these transmissions is without a cooler and fresh fluid all the time
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Not to go off on a tangent but I had understood that the '07 had a "better" transmission than earlier models (and a better engine than later models). What keywords might I search to find more info?
    Last edited by STeveZ; 08-12-2015 at 03:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast