Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Right so we are a month later again...

I was on leave last week so I had some issues sorted on both the Volvo's. The XC went in for a service and a cambelt and they also fitted new front control arms. The control arms were covered by the warranty. On the S40 I also had front control arms fitted after driving over a speed bump at a rate of knots (still haven't seen it). Car developed a nasty knock in the front suspension afterwards. Also covered by warranty.

I must say the XC is driving better than ever with fresh oil, plugs and control arms. There's still quite a bit to do to get it tip-top shape, but the money just isn't there.

We took yet another trip in the XC this time visiting the friend I previously mentioned on their holiday farm. What an experience! We were so close to the wildlife, it felt like we could reach out and touch the Giraffes!

XC handled the bad gravel road with aplomb and somewhere during the trip my wife asked if we are going to take the XC (if we still have it) on holiday end October. Unfortunately new discs and pads, etc. will need to be fitted before then at the very least.

Anyway, here's some pics to give you an idea of the weekend.

Little one enjoying the fresh air...

XC looking good - spot the wildlife

XC, Amarok and some Giraffe

Some more Giraffe

Taken from the bathroom window!

Some panoramas

The house

Some Sable Antelope

My aunt and uncle live in the Maasai Mara in Kenya. They've always had Land Cruizers (Afican Version). They have had their share of problems with it due to roads and climate.
    I used to live in Atlanta and I've had many different cars. In Atlanta, I never really had any major issues except with crap American brands. I then moved to Northern Vermont where the roads and climate are hard on vehicles. Every brand here has problems even the esteemed official car of Vermont, the Subaru. I help a friend at his small dealership here. I've seen loads of issues with every brand. I have noticed that BMW and Volvo tend to hold-up longer in general. Yes, they still have issues but they are built tough and generally just need some TLC rather than rust out.
    Guess what I'm saying is, if you love the car and it works for your family, keep it. Learn to do the easy stuff like brakes, plugs, oil, etc, and the Volvo we cost you about the same as a Japanese brand of the same caliber. All cars will surprise you and hit you in the pocket. All cars will have problems when you hit dirt or rutted crappy roads, trust me, I've seen it and experienced it.
    Great pictures by the way!

Wow! What an incredible place to live!

The XC is about perfect for "soft roads"...dirt roads...like Vermont...not serious off-roading, but from the looks of things, it's about perfect for your situation...

And, wow...giraffe? Really!
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

TIL (Today I Learned) VW makes a truck... but not for the US. Oh also TIL, other parts of the world don't swear at the squirrels in their yards.
    2001 V70XC 150k

Quote Originally Posted by guymon View Post
    TIL (Today I Learned) VW makes a truck... but not for the US. Oh also TIL, other parts of the world don't swear at the squirrels in their yards.
    Whut? No Amarok in the US? That's rather sad, because they are FANTASTIC. The one in the picture is the top of the range 2.0 4cyl BiTDI with 8 speed Auto transmission and 4Motion 4x4. Fully specced, just about all the luxuries you can want. They drive exceptionally well on all road surfaces and they are very capable offroad. They've been out in South Africa for 5 years or so and has built a very strong reputation for reliability.

The middle pick is of the new 2015/16 steering wheel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amarok 1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	7428Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amarok 2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	7429Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amarok_3.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	7430

Quote Originally Posted by Kix View Post
    Whut? No Amarok in the US? That's rather sad, because they are FANTASTIC. The one in the picture is the top of the range 2.0 4cyl BiTDI with 8 speed Auto transmission and 4Motion 4x4. Fully specced, just about all the luxuries you can want. They drive exceptionally well on all road surfaces and they are very capable offroad. They've been out in South Africa for 5 years or so and has built a very strong reputation for reliability.

The middle pick is of the new 2015/16 steering wheel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amarok 1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	7428Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amarok 2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	7429Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amarok_3.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	7430
    Do they do the amarok with the V10 TDI out there, you need to try one if they do. Unbelievable power.

Awesome pics!
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

Small update:

After looking at my finances again, I had no choice but to advertise the XC on every platform I can think of.

Got a call from a dealer and he asked to put the XC on his floor. Apparently he has a 2001 on the floor which gets a lot of attention, but the car is in a sad state of disrepair and they won't be selling it. (In SA we have a Consumer Protection Act which means you can claim from the dealer if something breaks for 6 months afterwards.)

So yes, the XC has gone to the dealer. I'm not sure what I'm hoping for. Regardless, I'll let you know what happens.

Fast forward a bunch of months...

And the S40 and the XC70 has been sold.

We are now looking to combine them into one vehicle. XC60 is a strong contender, but I've also found a beautiful and very reasonably priced XC90.

Have a look here: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...t-10-years-old

And please do give your opinions if you will.

Glad to hear that progress has been made on the vehicle front...you still live in an awesome place!
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123