Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T@B.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	7347This is one of the few trailers with a tongue weight inline with my Volvo...it's small, but nice.

But that's a European design. Has it's heritage from the same company as mine (Tabbert).
    What I meant about the chassie is mainly the axis design. Suspension and shock absorbers are essential for good road handling.

Here's a link to an assortment of camping trailers where most of them can be towed by an XC70 (some are too heavy).
    Brochure

Here's the small one you linked to before.
    T@B
    Last edited by apersson850; 07-30-2015 at 01:09 AM.

What I heard today was " It's the soft suspension, the one that gives it such a nice ride. The back end will sink too low if there is more than 165lbs.

if you are in the states and look at the numbers there are almost no travel trailers that can be towed by the xc70.

some of the smaller teardrops and very small popups will meet the specs in the manual.

I met two couples from back east towing TABs with older xc70s.

then I ran across an rpod 17 footer being towed with a newer xc70, which is what I do.

even with weight shifted around you are going to start out about 20 pounds over at the hitch.

brakes are also an issue. Volvo's hitch doesn't provide power for electric brakes.
    a fellow with a cayenne turned me on to prodigy wireless controllers (they are a glorified electric surge brake).

Volvo doesn't even suggest a xmssn cooler option for their cars.

all that being said we've towed up to 500 miles a day at 55-70mph and gotten about 17mpg with a t6. my 3/4 ton chevy got 7-11.

a sway bar is optional but worth it.

weight distribution hitches require a class 3 receiver (like a curt ?)

hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by 320ccc View Post
    if you are in the states and look at the numbers there are almost no travel trailers that can be towed by the xc70.

some of the smaller teardrops and very small popups will meet the specs in the manual.

I met two couples from back east towing TABs with older xc70s.

then I ran across an rpod 17 footer being towed with a newer xc70, which is what I do.

even with weight shifted around you are going to start out about 20 pounds over at the hitch.

brakes are also an issue. Volvo's hitch doesn't provide power for electric brakes.
    a fellow with a cayenne turned me on to prodigy wireless controllers (they are a glorified electric surge brake).

Volvo doesn't even suggest a xmssn cooler option for their cars.

all that being said we've towed up to 500 miles a day at 55-70mph and gotten about 17mpg with a t6. my 3/4 ton chevy got 7-11.

a sway bar is optional but worth it.

weight distribution hitches require a class 3 receiver (like a curt ?)

hope that helps.
    YEs...thanks for sharing! WHat do you think is the reason for that absurdly low TW rating? 3500lbs of trailer should have a TW of about 350!! ANother problem is that apparently, according to the trailer Forums, the dealers aren't giving us realistic numbers. I spoke with Scamp and they said a 13' with a wet bath had a TW of 130#. The Forum said no way...that is about 250. sigh. I like the [email protected] are just really small and really popular and so really expensive!

[QUOTE=apersson850;184603]But that's a European design. Has it's heritage from the same company as mine (Tabbert).
    What I meant about the chassie is mainly the axis design. Suspension and shock absorbers are essential for good road handling.

Here's a link to an assortment of camping trailers where most of them can be towed by an XC70 (some are too heavy).
    Brochure

What? Seriously? Which of these would you put on your XC70? (They are BEAUTIFUL....)

Are the XC70s in the UK any different than the ones in the US? Because this is aGREAT site for info on towing.
    http://www.towcar.info/gebruikservar...lvo&serie=XC70

Quote Originally Posted by ORshepherd View Post
    WHat do you think is the reason for that absurdly low TW rating? 3500lbs of trailer should have a TW of about 350!! ANother problem is that apparently, according to the trailer Forums, the dealers aren't giving us realistic numbers. I spoke with Scamp and they said a 13' with a wet bath had a TW of 130#. The Forum said no way...that is about 250. sigh. I like the [email protected] are just really small and really popular and so really expensive!
    to be honest with you I don't get it either. however vehicle manufacturers spec their products for specific markets.

I suspect that front wheel drive and unibody construction may have something to do with it.

neither Volvo nor rv manufactures were able to provide satisfactory insights.

as I mentioned, I towed with a truck prior to buying the xc70.
    the xc70 is only a 1000 pounds lighter, a foot shorter and has 50 more hp.
    in short, it's a beast and as a consequence quite stable towing at speed.
    I thought the rear end would sag...it does not.

in the end I quit overthinking it and just tried my solution out.
    it's over spec and it works.
    you will have to make your own decision.

as to TW...the measurement is unloaded.
    if you're really curious to see how it works slip a bathroom scale under the jack and have someone walk the aisle of the trailer.

good luck.

SO this looks just like a T@B you'd find in Europe towed by an xc70? Cause I bought one!

Quote Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
    But that's a European design. Has it's heritage from the same company as mine (Tabbert).

Brochure

Here's the small one you linked to before.
    T@B

Thanks for your input 320ccc. (Are you in the states?)

I just found a TW of 155 on the website. 180 was from a 2013 brochure. Now that probably means the unloaded trailer without the options added is 155...BUt I'm OK with that.. As long as I can use 155 as an official number!

What I'm coming to realize is that for every idea about this, there is an equal and opposite idea. So far, the Volvo ppl who are talking to me from experience are telling me I'll be OK.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast