Default ABS Module for 2004 XC70 - Can it be repaired?

2004 XC70 - 148,000 miles and (knock on wood), no real issues to date. Dealer told me that they are picking up faults on the ABS module and it will likely have to be replaced: $1,800 parts and labor.

I've read that the solder joints go back in these and they do get to the point of needing to be replaced. Older units can be sent away for repair but it doesn't appear that you can repair a 2004 unit.

Is this true? Do I have any options? I haven't had much luck finding re-man parts either. I'm afraid that I might have to go "new" but that will be the last resort.

Thank you!

I see the repair/return service at 'X' only lists ym 2004.5 and newer, however their pre-programmed BCM's are available for 2001-2004 with core. Not sure why no repair service on 2001-2004; perhaps the turnaround time for those years is too long or they only do them in batches or something. It doesn't really matter, except the pre-programmed BCM's are $50USD more than the repair/return version. It's an expensive part no matter how you slice it, but much cheaper than new from dealer. The pre-programmed version can be in your car without the downtime of repair/return. Are you getting a 'brake service - stop carefully' warning? Does your odometer/cruise control still work?

I replaced mine (2002) with the 'X' brand and it works perfectly. It was a 1/2hr swap. Hope this helps.

These folks (http://xemodex.ca/ca/) can help you out with that ABS (or Brake Control) module.

Good Luck,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

I am not getting any warning lights for brakes and the odometer and cruise still work fine.

I had a Check Engine light and took my car in to check the codes. The reason for the Check Engine was a cracked gas cap, but they did pick up fault codes on the ABS module. We agreed that I could drive on it for a while but that it is likely going to fail at some point.

Thank you, Bill. I checked Xemodex but their modules are all for older models. I will email them to make sure I am reading it correctly.

check this listing out http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-ABS-DS...item1e9d1f8e37
    depends on which model you have..i removed mine and sent it in for repairs on my '02 (took a week) i had all the brake warning signs and such.. drove it w/o the module since it wasnt working to begin with so it didnt mater if it was on or off..it's been 4 months now w/o any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by svenska572 View Post
    Thank you, Bill. I checked Xemodex but their modules are all for older models. I will email them to make sure I am reading it correctly.
    Yep, your year is there. Click on Brake Control Module and it is listed there.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

02 and newer ABS modules are not repairable.
    If they fail the issue is different than the earlier models
    I needed one last year and got it from erievovo for a couple of hundred bucks.
    Should be enough used ones around as this is NOT a common failure.

www.erievovo.com 1 888 volvo 13
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Thanks, everyone!

So a week after the dealer picked up a few faults from the ABS sensor, nothing new came up on the computer and all seems to be well. Weird but I'll take it.

Separately, they did replace a sensor in the DEM so my AWD is working again and I didn't have to buy a new angle gear or DEM! It helps to take it to a competent dealer - Betten in Grand Rapids.