Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default T.[NE]T.D.L. - The [Never Ending] To-Do List

Got wheels, got tools, amIrite?

While actually impressed by the condition of my recently acquired XC ('06, 122k miles on clock) , I have used these past couple of weeks to assess the Need-To-Do, by driving it under different conditions and regimens.

Thus far, in no particular order of urgency:

- Control Arm Bushings

Slight front clunking sound when going over small bumps leads me to believe I may have worn bushings in my control "A" arms. I have nearly always used Moog parts, under harsh usage, and without disappointments - any dissents?

- Wheel Bearings

Whereas I have nearly complete maintenance records for the vic, some spots are lacking specifics. Somewhat annoying rhythmic squeak hints at bearings in need of replacement. Since this seems stupidly easier than the wheel bearing replacements I am used to (Jeep), and the parts aren't screamingly expensive, should be done soon. Given background, I am a fan of Timken bearings, but am told Dura Intl makes similar quality products. T/F?

- Lift!!

Soon(ish), acquire and install BädSwede's sweet 2" lift coils. Yubba!

I understand a couple of folks in the forum have actually done so. Any pitfalls or "here, hold mah beer, watch this" advice? My notion is to replace struts and rear shocks, when getting this done, with something a little less floaty. Sachs got pointed as decent replacement with firmness in mind.

- Sparks

Inclined to go with Bosch's FR7DPP. The brand has never let me down, when dealing with Yurpian vics, so am inclined to trust them. Plus, gap-ing sparks is akin to shining combat boots... best summarized in one word: "WHYYYY...."

Fluids

They seem in perfect good order, levels are spot on. However, thermodynamics being what they are, eventually things fade, evaporate, burn out and go out of style (I am looking at you, piano keys neckties...). I understand Volvo has peculiar and specific inclinations when it comes to fluids, namely transmission and steering.

While factory stuff is often hard to find and on the expensive side, it seems most folks have had no issues with DoT4+ (synth), but I have not run into a this-not-that answer as to transmission fluid replacement. Yes, I have seen the "multi-iteration ATF non-flush replacement" write ups; they make sense, yet they are vastly vague on fluid equivalent replacement. I am used to snag Dexron III and IV for my fleet, ding ding, chicken done. However, I know better than assume "eh, it's all the same" and mix fluids into a seasoned transmission. Anyone?

Trim

I got a small hole on the flooring carpet, driver side, on the driveshaft channel, near console. It's not urgent, nor particularly important, but it annoys me. Wonder if Volvo uses same stuff most Murkan vics use for insulation and padding?

D-U-N

- New shoes: Cooper Discoverer HTP 225-70-16s
    - Trim, internal: series of minutia such as missing bushings for door locking pins (new set), a power seat cracked side cover, and adding a power outlet and extra cargo rings to the trunk.

Please, share your very own T[NE]TDL here, as well.

Clunk over bumps is sway bar end links. Squeak could be dry support bearing on passenger CV axle. Bad wheel bearing growls, not squeaks.

Take Lemforder for front LCA bushings. Meyle HD is also popular, but I personally had every Meyle's suspension part failed within a year (non-HD though).
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

I have an 06, recently acquired, that has a little north of 125K. So far, I have done the really important stuff, timing belt, water pump, tensioner, serpentine belt and pulley/tensioner. Also upper and lower torque mounts.

On the list is a Gibbons flush, probably replace the steering rack (leaky), sway bar end links, and a little more interior refurbishing. Overall, I love the car and how it drives. I just hope it remains reliable and that once it is brought up to standard it stays that way for a while.

Ditto endlinks on click sound over small bumps. The ball joint that attaches to the strut is the one that fails.

On fluids, use Toyota Type IV 3309 compatible fluid. Its easy to acquire and cheap (shop around if your local Toyota dealer is too high) and is OEM fluid. Dex III won't work as it has wrong friction index and the transmission will not shift properly. Use Dot 4 or 4+ for the brakes. I guess any brand would do. Since you like flushing all fluids, do PS fluid (CHF-11S or CHF-202) as well to get rid of any contaminants (jack up front end, unhook return to reservoir line, turn back and forth to pump it out, fill and turn back and forth to bleed. All with engine off).
    Last edited by howardc64; 07-15-2015 at 12:25 PM.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Koala View Post
    probably replace the steering rack (leaky
    Recently acquired a 2000 V70XC with a leaky seal on the passenger side. Found this following link to change the seal without pulling the rack. I think these Volvo racks are pretty much similar if not identical between these years. Going to give it a try soon myself.

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...rack-leak-fix/

People claim the XCs leak due to lacking a heat shield on the passenger side seal near the down pipe. However, my previous passenger side PS rack seal leak is on a 01 V70 T5 FWD (I guess with a heat shield on rack, don't remember) so not sure if this claim is statistically true.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

You seem to want to go out of your way to use aftermarket parts that may not be err..shall we say up to snuff.
    I have no comments than to say other than good luck, I think you will really need it
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by howardc64 View Post
    I think these Volvo racks are pretty much similar if not identical between these years.
    Howard, keep in mind that there are two suppliers of Volvo racks, ZF and SMI. Not sure of the internals, but these manufacturers at the least use different pipe fittings for the hard lines and, I believe, the soft lines. With that, I would just suggestion that you verify what is going on internally before you go to the trouble of trying to essentially rebuild the racks in situ with possibly the wrong seal set.

Have fun,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Howard, thank you very much for the link! I will certainly give it a try, other than the parts cost I have nothing really to lose but a little time, and the savings could be huge! I'll climb under this weekend and figure out what kind of rack I have.

You made my day!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by howardc64 View Post
    Recently acquired a 2000 V70XC with a leaky seal on the passenger side. Found this following link to change the seal without pulling the rack. I think these Volvo racks are pretty much similar if not identical between these years. Going to give it a try soon myself.
    So you've got a Volvo again? Time to update your signature!
    Toby
    2008 S80 T6 AWD Black Stone / Anthracite Black 85k miles
    2008 XC90 V8 Ember Black / Offblack 100k miles
    SOLD: 2005 XC70 Lava Sand / Taupe 176k miles
    Sammamish, Washington

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast