Default High mileage XC90 reliability

Hi, I’m looking at buying a used XC90 anywhere from a 2004 to a 2008 with between 80 and 100k miles. There are a reasonably large number available in the area for around 10 grand, my wife and I test drove one with about 118k miles (just to get a feel for the car before we drove a few hours for the deals) and I’ve never driven anything that felt so right. It was perfect, and I love the layout of the interior and everything about the vehicle.

That being said, my brother owned a Volvo wagon (I don’t know what model) for a couple of years (similar scenario – bought used only he acquired it with about 110k on the odometer), and he said he had ton of problems with the car, and eventually sold it. When I spoke with him, he said I should be prepared to spend about $5,000 per year on maintenance and repairs and be ready for it to be in the shop 2-3 times per year. I’ve seen poking around various forums that there are different problems some people encounter, but I always felt that there were probably a higher number of problems reported in active car communities online than exist in the population as a whole. My reasoning is that one of the things that drives car owners to online forums in the first place is to gather information about various issues they have.

Is there any advice anyone can give me about buying one of these? How much do you guys generally spend on upkeep/repairs per year? I’m really looking forward to this purchase, but I don’t want to get something that’s going to drive great off the lot and then crap out. I’m willing to accept that my brother got a lemon, but I’ve heard other maintenance stories as well. I know this is a long post with a broad question, but any input is welcome.

I had a Volvo wagon too - an 01 V70 XC. It was a decent first Volvo for me to own, but it started to get costly - however I did all the research I could going in. Even my indy Volvo mechanic gave it an enthusiastic YES! for me to buy it. In hindsight, I'm wondering if he saw dollar signs in his future and lemonade in mine.

Anyway, the car went into limp mode in the NC mountains on me and after a few other issues, it was time to part ways. Some would call it a lemon. I called it a learning experience that would lead me to own another Volvo. I mean, I changed the heater core on my own in that '01...heck yeah I'm still proud of that!

That was back in 2009 ish (if you really want to know, check my posts). Anyway, I really liked the car and vowed to buy a newer one at some point. Possibly even an XC90, which at that point in time was out of my price range.

Fast-forward to late last year and we were in the market for a new car. We found two XC90s on a lot in Raleigh and after ruling one out, we got serious about the other - a black 04 2.5T. It 'felt' good, too. Ran well, had the room we needed, etc. As far as we were concerned, this XC90 was a YES!

We took it to our mechanic and he told us DO. NOT. BUY. THIS. CAR.

And so we DID. BUY. THAT. CAR.

He said there was oil buildup on the 'grate' in the oil filler hole. Ok, maybe some TLC and my addiction to synthetic oil will help.

He said the driver's seat motor was shot. It was simply unplugged. Click. Fixed.

He said he didn't like the amount of rust on it. It was 'born' in DC and driven to New England on vacations every year (I'll get to how I know this in a minute) - it's called salt...northern states use it on roads.

And so we own it now. Against the advice of an independent Volvo mechanic.

And so here we are, loving our XC90. I'd LOVE for it to give us a lot of years of hassle-free driving. I know that I'm more likely to get out what I put in but that there are no guarantees when it comes to cars. So I'll take what the car has to give.

I see it like this - I own this thing. I'm not making payments. So if I have to spend a few hundred dollars on something....meh...yeah I like my money, but I also acknowledge that I bought a used car...and mechanical thing with hundreds of moving parts and electronic doo-dads that may or may not last as long as I'd like them to.

I ended up, by chance, locating the previous owner (he lives in DC) a few weeks ago. He said my XC90 is the best car he's ever owned and only parted with it because of the upcoming repairs needed (PVC, timing belt+water pump and a few other things) and his dealer made him a sweet offer on a new car that he couldn't pass up. The guy is sending me a key fob that he kept (I'm guessing for sentimental reasons) and he's answered any question I've had about the car.

Maybe your brother got a lemon - who knows. My point is that even though my Volvo independent mechanic said YES to the '01, it turned out sour. He said NO to the XC90 and we're so-far-so good. I looked at the CarFax for the BOTH cars, called the dealerships that serviced them, did my research and made the best decision I could based on the information I had at the time. And right now I'm having vastly different experiences. I keep telling people, I'm not a car guy, but I love this car.

Since I've owned the XC90, I've spent about $1000 in parts - PVC, Timing belt, new plugs, end links, fuel filter, etc and $500 getting new lower control arm bushings, $400 for tires...but I expected that....I factored it in. Even with that price tag, I'm still happy with the car. You can only do so much before you sign on the dotted line for one of these. Make the most informed decision you can....which is obviously why you're here in the first place.
    I'm applying my hard-earned (more like bought) knowledge to a 2004 XC90 2.5T.
    Read about my adventures at http://volvoxc90site.com