Default Bulb and sense questions.

2006 XC-70 OR.
    1. Over the past year I have had to change burned out low beams about 3 times. Anyway...I hate trying to put new bulbs in. Lining up the prongs and slots is a real pain, my hands are rather large. Anyone have any hints on putting in bulbs? Or is it just practice?
    2. When I got the car about a year ago, the headlight lenses were excellent. I can see that they are starting to wear...slight fogging and pitting. Any preventive measures so I don't have to deal with fully clouded lenses?

Nothing you can do, park inside and soon have a headlight refinish performed
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanS View Post
    1. changed burned out low beams about 3 times. any hints?
    2. headlight lenses ..slight fogging and pitting
    1. yes, the low beam H11 bulbs are difficult to get to - the next time one fails check the connection at the bulb itself - that connector tends to melt, and damage the bulb. Volvo sells a repair kit 31299732 - the aftermarket connectors I have tried did not last, so I only use the Volvo part. To make them last longer you can re-program the headlamps to be off with the switch in the off position - and only turn them on as needed. A dice unit and vida software are required to change that setting in the CEM. (A real vida subscription is not needed to access that setting)

2. The plastic headlamp lenses on just about all new cars get damaged from sunlight - many kinds of kits are made to repair that damage. Most kits involve sanding off the haze and polishing the lenses -

I've done the headlight refinishing a couple of times, with varying results. It never seems to last very long. I am considering replacing the entire headlamp assembly. Has anyone removed the front bumper to do this? Is it an easy process?

Thanks.
    Current Vehicles
    2011 XC70
    2013 Audi Q5
    2000 Kawasaki KLR650
    1991 BMW K75 RT

You HAVE to remove the bumper or at least a corner at a time
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Does this involve any drilling of rivets or is it removal of screws and the plastic press in rivets that I see along the top under the hood?

Thanks
    Current Vehicles
    2011 XC70
    2013 Audi Q5
    2000 Kawasaki KLR650
    1991 BMW K75 RT

A family member has a different make of car but with plastic headlight housings.
    The car has been in our ownership since new; but we had a 3m clear bra installed on the front end-no hazing due to the films UV protection.

If I had plastic headlight lenses I would clay and polish until I was satisfied, then cover the lenses with a UV plastic akin to a "clear bra" but just on the lenses...that way you won't have to keep repolishing the lenses to keep th oxidation off.
    You might have to take off the headlights to have the best results; but it will most likely be a one time project compared to habit to regularly having to remove the oxidation from the plastic lenses.

Should you need some data:
    The car below has been in my care since new and has been in a car port/outlet side it's whole life (since 2007) with 3m's clear bra systemClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	7240Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	7241