Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Press?

Default Bad Press?

SO far, Test Drove the Subaru wagons, the Lexus RX, the Highlander and the XC70 T6. Hands down the Volvo was my favorite. I enjoyed the drive...I loved the long platform you get with the flat folding seats and went all starry eyed at those metal tracks with metal tie downs. I like the low jump height for the dogs to get in and out of the crates....but when I mentioned this on my "Dog Rigs" forum a half dozen people wrote..."uh oh...VOlvo? It's going the way of Saab...no dealers around..." or..."It needs premium fuel" and It is really expensive to fix..." I'd think twice.."

I can't think of another vehicle one has to fight the reputation of...(If one is so inclined to engage)... It's daunting. It's confusing. darn!

Quote Originally Posted by ORshepherd View Post
    SO far, Test Drove the Subaru wagons, the Lexus RX, the Highlander and the XC70 T6. Hands down the Volvo was my favorite. I enjoyed the drive...I loved the long platform you get with the flat folding seats and went all starry eyed at those metal tracks with metal tie downs. I like the low jump height for the dogs to get in and out of the crates....but when I mentioned this on my "Dog Rigs" forum a half dozen people wrote..."uh oh...VOlvo? It's going the way of Saab...no dealers around..." or..."It needs premium fuel" and It is really expensive to fix..." I'd think twice.."

I can't think of another vehicle one has to fight the reputation of...(If one is so inclined to engage)... It's daunting. It's confusing. darn!
    Reports of Volvo's death have been greatly exaggerated. FYI, I bought my first Volvo wagon in 1981 specifically to haul my dogs to shows. I no longer show dogs, but I still have Volvo wagons. My best advice to you is get the XC70 T6 and ignore the naysayers.
    Current Volvos:
    2015.5 V60 T5 Drive-E FWD Seashell/Beige, Platinum, Front Heat, BLIS, Urbane Wood, 18" Titania Rims
    2015.5 V60 T5 Drive-E FWD Power Blue/Off-Black, Platinum, Front Heat, BLIS

Former Volvos:
    2012 XC70 T6 AWD Twilight Bronze/Espresso-Sandstone; 2012 S60 T5 FWD Saville Grey/Off-Black; 2010 V70 3.2 Seashell/Sandstone; 2008 S40 T5 Orinoco Blue/Quartz; 2007 V50 T5 Barents Blue/Quartz

I just had my 1 year anniversary with my XC70 T6 and think your hearing typical internet urban legend. Zero unscheduled maintenance, wish I would have bought it sooner. I drove most of your candidates as well and bought the XC.

On the whole I pretty much agree with what's been said here. Jump in now and get the XC70 T6. Great solid car with a good engine. If you want it though get in now for a 2015.5 model - the T6 is apparently being discontinued for the 2016 model to be replaced with the less powerful 2.5l 5-cylinder T5 AWD. From the 2017 model the XC70 of course will be replaced by the new V90CC with its 4-cylinder engines.

Tony

Twilight bronze T6. Got a hold on her; going in to suss her out on Monday morning; dog shows this weekend!! The only other viable candidate is the Outback...but NO, ZERO comparison once you get in the driver's seat. And I am dreaming about those tie downs.....VolvoBuff....what's your breed? I'm hauling around my 3 shelties to herding trials and my papillon to breed shows and obedience. Finally...BTW...there is a crash tested crate that is designed to fit in wagons and hatchbacks...guess where it's made....
    And Thanks for the support...amazing what a shot in the arm it can give a gal!

Excellent choice of color (colour to Tony), if I say so myself. Did you get the Espresso Brown interior? It looks really sharp and hides the dirt and dog drool nicely. We have basset hounds, BTW, so the latter property is a major criterion. About those Volvo seats: you probably haven't spent a whole lot of time in them yet, but you will find that when you arrive at your destination after a long dog show trip, you will be just as rested as when you started out. No aches, no pains. no back problems. One of many reasons why I have been loyal to Volvo over the years and decades.
    Current Volvos:
    2015.5 V60 T5 Drive-E FWD Seashell/Beige, Platinum, Front Heat, BLIS, Urbane Wood, 18" Titania Rims

Former Volvos:
    2012 XC70 T6 AWD Twilight Bronze/Espresso-Sandstone; 2012 S60 T5 FWD Saville Grey/Off-Black; 2010 V70 3.2 Seashell/Sandstone; 2008 S40 T5 Orinoco Blue/Quartz; 2007 V50 T5 Barents Blue/Quartz

What kind of MPG are you able to coax out of the T6?

Current Volvos:

Former Volvos:

Quote Originally Posted by volvobuff View Post
    Thanks. I knew I saw some of that somewhere!

NOt to flog a dead horse....but at the dog show today I saw an old friend with whom I used to share drives to shows....She had a '99 wagon (must've been the xc70) and they also had a sedan. I mentioned that I was looking at the new wagon and she said..."Don't do it!""" Her wagon died a thousand deaths, repairs costing $$$$, and one day she was backing out of her driveway and she heard a *thunk*---the whole motor (I think that's what she said) just FELL OUT!. I don't know her to exaggerate or to not take good care of things in her life....

What does this mean? That there is a high percentage of lemons in the brand? That the mechanics aren't on top of the game? ?? So the bad press seems often justified...and yet I also heard that the average time a Volvo is on the road is 18 years.

How do you all reconcile this discrepancy?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast