Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

the on board fuel computer is for entertainment purposes only.

I've achieved 8.0L/100km regularly driving 110kph on highways regularly in my old XC70 (around 30mpg). Alberta highways aren't necessarily known for their hills or excessive corners and turns. Prairie roads tend to be flat and straight.

I never reset the average fuel consumption but it currently shows 12.1 l/100km with a mix of highway and city. When I check the instantaneous reading cruising on the highway it is about 7-9 depending on gradient etc. but when pulling away from a stop even gently it shoots up to 60+. At a cold start it goes off the scale (>99.9) which had me thinking the handbrake was still on. I recently did 4000 km on a trip to Florida and back and the ave consumption reading melted from 12.9 to 9.6. On my short commute to work with a lot of stop and go it ticks up 0.1 per day. I suppose it is for entertainment purposes after all!
    05 XC70 Titanium Edition
    2012 BMW X1
    2002 Subaru Outback Sport (retired)

In all fairness my wife drives the xc mainly and has a very soft foot. We live in coastal North Carolina and have virtually no hills. My dad has an 07 in coastal so and gets better mileage than we do!

Well, we're ALL hills here
    Try going up one hill watching your instant mileage go from 20 MPG to 8 MPG in one block and stay there until you let off the gas!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Exactly! Just drove through your area last weekend. Beautiful country but hell on gas mileage...

I think we have different options on fuel in the UK. We have ordinary "premium" fuel which is 95 RON octain and 97 RON Shell VPower+, which also has twice the additives, friction minimisers and system cleaners. Since August 2014 I have been using this fuel and monitoring my consumption mileage with "FillUp" android app for Android 5.1.1. I am averaging 27.18 m.p.g on a mixture of very short journeys (2 -3 miles in my neighbourhood) and longish journeys at an average of 65m.p.h over 300 - 400 miles. Sadly iPhone has no equivalent app, though as a sat nav it is great. Worst of all (Apple) your American spell checker will insist oi changing anything it does not understand! Your culture makes a virtue of being a melting pot, yet it is IT is disfunctional outside narrow parameters.
    MY01 Ocean Race XC70 Blue/Silver

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12