Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Wonderful! Thanks VTL

I'm straying a little from the original topic of post with this one, but figured I'd keep everything in one thread... I have moved on to replacing the driver front axle CV boot that I found torn. I can't get the half of the axle that goes into the ?transmission? out. I got the outer half of the axle out of the joint and think I could just reload with grease and put back together.

Any pointers on dislodging the snap ring in inside the transmission from whatever it engages into would be appreciated as well. I thought about using the tail pipe expander and slide hammer approach I used on the bevel gear collar .. but trying to get this one done ASAP..

One issue with this approach is that I won't be able to get a good angle on crimping the ring. Is there any problem with using a screw tightening hose clamp?

https://goo.gl/photos/uBp9CdDy49N6Px1G7

Photos are of the stuck half of the axle, condition of the CV joint ?housing? and the rollers/bearings before and after cleaning... also the line-up of persuasion devices I've tried.. is the condition on the inside alright? Looks like wear, but feels smooth

*After some additional research: did I find the solution to my own problem?
    Last edited by diggity; 09-18-2015 at 09:57 PM. Reason: picture descriptions

I don't think a slide hammer will do it. It appears to need a strong, linear force to collapse the internal circlip enough to free the splines. Sometimes rotating the stub and repetitively prying will do it. There have been at least one on this forum that may never have been able to free his.
    The Volvo tool is a pry bar with an end similar to the slide hammer adapter.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

I just used two pry bars and pushed at the same time and it popped right out. I've also seen a pickle fork used and a few taps popped it out. The volvo tool looks like a big pickle fork, so i'm assuming you can just rent the kit at autozone and use the biggest one and pop it out.

Here is a link to the same question with the picture of the volvo tool. http://www.justanswer.com/volvo/5rrj...alf-shaft.html

Hey boys and girls, I'm back, except this time I have a 2006XC70 and the old originals from my 2001.

My goal was to put the new bushings into the old arms from the 2001, then put those into the 2006, but part numbers on them don't match and neither match FCP. For example passenger side front LCA:

FCP lists OE #s 36012460, 30635232, 8649546 being compatible across the entire P2XC line from 2001 to 2007

The 2001 LCA has the #s SV66200151 08646376
    The 2006 LCA has the #s SV66200161 08624553

They appear the same, but wondering if anyone here can confirm they're all interchangeable, or what's different between them?

Thanks in advance!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123