Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'm starting to research / get all the parts lined up for the control arm bushings and ball joint replacement .. still have a rattle going over bumps. I'm trying to keep everything OEM. I've found that the OEM bushings were made by ...
    front: Lemforder,
    rear: Febi / Bilstein

These appear to be the OEM ball joints, can anyone confirm?
    http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/5685...Bolts-274548G/

They're a little spendy at ~$75 each. Has anyone used the Febi's that are a little more economically priced, if so how did they perform??
    http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/9043...-Bolts-274548/

According the to records I have from when I purchased the car, ball joints were replaced at 91K miles and again at 105K. Seems to me you should get more than 15K out of ball joints? The original set appears to have made it 91K miles..? Currently ~128k, so I'm wondering if they even need replacing? I'm kind of thinking since I'm going to have the control arms off, why not just replace ball joints while I have everything torn apart? .. or is this bad logic?

2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Looking for lemforder control arms (decided not to go the bushing route) .. I'm on FCPeuro and they don't seem to have a driver side LCA. Are these harder to find for some reason?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...m12x105-987455

Is this the LCA bolt, I know the front bushing needs two and the rear needs one for each side .. 6 total? I'm guessing it's not a good idea to reuse them?

decided to get this kit and keep my OEM LCAs .. I'll swap out the bushings if/when these go.

Any input on the LCA bolts? Can I reuse? If not, does anyone have a link to or info on the correct replacements?

Any insight, lessons learned, or advise is also appreciated!

Thanks,

I just remove my LCAs, give them and new OEM bushings to my mechanic and I pick them up in a day.... old ones removed and the new ones all pressed in!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by diggity View Post
    decided to get this kit and keep my OEM LCAs .. I'll swap out the bushings if/when these go.

Any input on the LCA bolts? Can I reuse? If not, does anyone have a link to or info on the correct replacements?

Any insight, lessons learned, or advise is also appreciated!

Thanks,
    I've always reuse the LCA bolts without any problem. I think they are stretch bolts so I didn't crank them down super tight and only used a 3/8 ratchet/brearker (can't get a 1/2" or 3/8" torque wrench on the driver side without raising the engine anyway) Link I gave you in post #2 shows how to get to driver side bolts without raising the engine slightly.

On your kit choice, you might google around and see how long Karlyn LCA bushings last.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Thanks for the reminder on post #2.

Quote Originally Posted by howardc64 View Post
    On your kit choice, you might google around and see how long Karlyn LCA bushings last.
    I did this, longevity of this brand (based on reviews) seems to vary greatly based on road conditions and driving style. Some say they are bad on bad roads, and can't get lemforders to last. others say they're great.... Based one my driving and road conditions hopefully they last.

I'm a little concerned about the corrosion compared to the Lemforder / OEM set up.. but if the things corrode in, that's why i'm keeping the OEMs; to put in OEM bushings and joints.

Finally wrapped this up last night. THIS how-to was very helpful, thanks cmharwood89!

I did find that my inner CV boot on my left axle is torn so I'll have to get that on order.

Also, I noticed that my right axle is missing the rubber seal Pic#2 (might not be exact pictures, but gets the point across) between the outer CV joint and hub. Does anyone have a part number for this seal? I've been looking and all that comes up is the bevel gear axle seal (I think...?)

2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast