Default Is the dashboard message system getting info from the OBD system?

This is my first Volvo, a super clean 2008 XC70 with 52K on it. A message just popped up today that says "Time to book service at an authorized Volvo dealer".
    This sounds rather ominous. The manual gives no clue what this means. Is this just a timed message it spits out or is this somehow interpreting the OBD codes
    and giving advice to the non-technical public?
    Thanks for any insight on how this works. What would be a likely cause for this message. I do own an OBD reader but would like to know
    if this is related to the OBD or not. Also, how do you clear these messages?
    Thanks!

The car is telling you it is time for an oil change and the other service items due at the mileage the car is at.
    The service indicator reset instructions should be posted somewhere on the board.

We have a 2008 also and have not found a "non-dealer" facility that can successfully reset the "Information" light. Annoying, but as long as you have had the oil/filter changed you should be fine. We have been told it is a "set distance" since being set by the dealer as having been serviced. We usually take it to the dealer every 3rd or so oil change.
    ---
    I went ahead and searched for the reset protocol and found this:

2008 XC70 maintenance message reset

1. Make sure to start with the T1 or T2 trip mileage showing.
    2. With your foot OFF the brake and the electronic key inserted into its slot, press and release the ignition (start/stop) button. The car will not start, but the displays will be activated.
    3. Press and hold the trip reset button.
    4. With your foot OFF the brake, while holding the reset button down, press and hold the ignition button until the yellow "i" in the yellow square at the bottom center of the instrument display begins to flash, release both buttons.
    5. With your foot ON the brake, start the engine and after a few moments, turn it off. If you got it right, the “time for maintenance” message should not reappear when the motor stops.
    ---
    After 7 years of owning this car and having to deal with this issue I was able to reset the warning with the above protocol. Took 3 tries, but the 3rd time the "yellow I light" flashed like the instructions indicate and the "time for maintenance" warning didn't show up... Can't believe it took me this long to look this up.
    Last edited by rosskis; 06-17-2015 at 07:05 PM.

To check the code is related to OBD or not. You need a Volvo specific VIDA kit, plug it into diagnostic socket, it will give the code and exactly code explanations/repair directions

This message is never related to any error code. It's computed based on recommended driving distance or elapsed time, whichever comes first. Some cars also evaluate a certain number of running hours (this will only trigger if you stay idle, stuck in traffic, frequently).
    For my current car it's 30000 km or twelve months that's the limit.