Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 01 xc70 Transmission failure?? Car will not move

Hi Guys

Just bought my pregnant wife a nice safe "reliable" car being the xc70. 2 days later the transmission failed. The car sounds like its going into gear, display shows it does, car sort of clunks but when you rev nothing happens. When the problem initially happened we were able to drive it about 50 - 60ft out of the traffic onto the side of the road albeit very slow.

Sometimes if you start the car and select drive it will drive just a little (few feet) bit but then stop, its almost like something is slipping. I have tried fluid replacement, but not flush. Plugged in a universal car code reader and am getting a P1618 code and P0740 code.

I knew the history of the transmission of these cars and factored that in when buying it. I bought a new transmission from a wreckers online but they have sent the wrong one and will not take it back so I am stuck with it. I have a 55-50sn but they have sent a 55-51sn.

Now I have no money left at all after buying this and the transmission. Do you think there is anything I could do between both transmissions to get a running car?

I should mention that I am in in Northern Australia with NO Volvo mechanics around

Thanks guys

Are there Toyota mechanics around? AW55 is basically a Toyota transmission. They may help with rebuilding your transmission (maybe even sourcing parts from the one you bought). P1618 is a communication error, you need a DiCE/VIDA setup to toss this problem out. XC70 is a good reliable car unless neglected.

Our 2002 V70 - then the only car in the family - once had a complete starter failure, while wife was 4 days over her due date. I replaced the starter at the street at night, and the next day she delivered That was the only "oh f.ck!" problem with the car.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Here is a list of cars that use this transmission and I believe they all had similar failure problems like these Volvos. Maybe you can find a Nissan or GM transmission rebuilder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisin_AF33_transmission

What is the mileage on the car? Might be worth replacing valvebody if mileage is not too far above 150k kms.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Car has 180k on it. I was thinking it may be worth removing the valvebody from the 55-51 and putting it in my 55-50 , does anyone know if this is possible and if so is it difficult?

If I cant do that I was maybe just going to swap over the solenoids and see what happens.

Any advice welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by kevboy03 View Post
    Car has 180k on it. I was thinking it may be worth removing the valvebody from the 55-51 and putting it in my 55-50 , does anyone know if this is possible and if so is it difficult?

If I cant do that I was maybe just going to swap over the solenoids and see what happens.

Any advice welcomed.
    You might give these guys a call to see about valvebody compatibility.

http://www.reamman.com/products/148-...aw55-51sn.aspx

I believe the linear solenoids are all compatible. New Rostra linear solenoids are $200 on ebay before shipping to AUS.

As for accessing the valvebody on the car, its a bit of work but not too bad if reasonably skilled around cars. Direction by astro14 is here http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/h...ment-Notes.pdf

I added a few added tips when I did a friend's VB.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...862#post179862
    http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvo....htm#949024197

A little alarming the car doesn't move at all. The usual valvebody problems on this car are flairs and harsh shifts. Usually occurs when ATF viscosity gets thinner when hot.
    Last edited by howardc64; 06-01-2015 at 12:21 AM.
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6

Thanks your input is much appreciated.

Yeah I am also worried it does not move, sometimes when started it will move just slightly though. I don't have the money for another transmission so wondering if it is even worth trying to replace the solenoids if this is not the "common" problem I am having.

I had an issue like this (of my own doing) where i knocked a plug off a solenoid on the valve body when I was putting the pan back on. It doesn't take much to have these transmissions (or any other transmission) stop working.

The solenoid is for shifting
    I'm afraid that if nothing moves that it's a lot more serious than solenoids
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

I read somewhere that its doable (replacing the 55-50sn with 55-51sn) but at the shop level not DIY. I think you better talk to some trans shops to get quotes (for labour) and to confirm if they can swap them. Since you already bought a used trans, you should look at swapping the trans instead of replacing the valve body. The wrecker sounds dodgy so i'm not sure if they sold you a good unit or one with problems.
    If you decide to swap the trans, you should at least replace the solenoids on the used trans or do a complete valve body rebuild.
    The other option is to dump/sell/trade-in the car because you haven't spent much money on it.
    2002 V70XC Cross Country 178k (km)
    young stubborn guy with his wagon
    Service Logs: http://tinyurl.com/o9fld84

Just helped a nearby Volvo owner with a 01 V70XC with 165k miles (tranny is 60k mile old factory refurb) that won't shift into any gear even cold. Hooked up VIDA/DiCE and see the S1-S5 solenoids switching on/off properly going through the gears. SLT, SLS, SLU read 1.0, 0.3, 0.2 amps respectively when not shifting. Graphed SLT shift according to online AW55-50 docs and looks identical.

Dipstick reading on ATF level during idle is really high (above max mark). From my research so far, this is a dead giveaway of failed pump. Fluid level is likely high as it isn't being circulated. Next step in diagnostics is to pull the ATF return line and start the engine. If dribbles... then no circulation due to either a dead pump or clog somewhere. I read dying pumps will whine according to engine speed which make sense as pump is directly connected to the engine output via outer portion of the torque convertor. We heard whining sound changing according to RPM. But when I cleared all the TCM codes, the whining stopped. Not sure why yet.

Perhaps you can check ATF level at idle and see what you have followed by opening up the return port from the ATF cooler and run it through a tube (eg tube used in ATF flush) into a gallon container and see if it comes out fast or trickle.

Car threw TCM codes (ECM 530D, TCM 002A, 002C). But I cleared it and no codes now. I guess if the car is not moving and no fluid pressure, TCM can't sense anything wrong. Pretty amazing but make sense.
    Last edited by howardc64; 06-01-2015 at 11:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast