Default 2005 XC90 2.5 Suspension issue

Hi, I'm newly registered here and after a quick browse of topics, I haven't found anything that might address my issue. I'm not a mechanic but I know a tiny bit about cars, enough to understand what a knowledgeable person is saying.

I've owned my 05 xc90 for just under 2 years and live in CT. After this last horrible winter, it feels like my suspension is off, a lot. It's a lot bumpier than I remember, I get "caught" in what feels like gusty wind or drafts on the highway, even when its not windy at all. When I hit decent bumps, like potholes or manholes it feels like my car (the rear mostly) is swaying toward the right, and on general bumps (back roads where I live) it feels just bumpy, rather than a smooth ride that I *thought* it had had. Any suggestions as to what's up with this beast without doing a literal overhaul of the entire suspension system? I've been thinking the control arms and/or ball joints would apply to the bumps, both little bumps and swaying on potholes/manhole covers. I thought the rear shocks would have been that problem also, and the swaying/drafting, and also sway bar links.

I had an alignment about 3000 miles ago when they also balanced an rotated my tires. My car doesn't pull in either direction as long as its a straight, level road. Otherwise, it does pull slightly to the left on the highway, but I figure that's because I live in the left lane and thought that was caused by the crown in the road (center lane) more than anything else.

I have recently (within the last month) had the front sway bar links and struts replaced. My mechanic said that the rear shocks aren't leaking, which is good since they're Nivomats @ $400 - $600 each, but he said if I was able to find them and wanted to replace, that he'd also do the rear sway bar links at the same time.

I'd like to know how I can go about figuring this all out. I trust what my mechanic says, I don't think he'd gouge me, but I'd like to get opinions from people that know more about the XC90's. My mechanic (self admittedly) is way better at older Volvos than he is with these.

Sounds like mine rides the same as yours. I got some HD rear swaybar endlinks that I need to put in.

Did you ever get any resolution to this? Have you made any repairs?

I was thinking of getting a subframe bushing kit from IPD (the inserts) since the price isn't too bad, and I need new struts on the front badly.

Also, mine pulled to the left and it was a lower control arm bushing going really bad, really fast.
    I'm applying my hard-earned (more like bought) knowledge to a 2004 XC90 2.5T.
    Read about my adventures at http://volvoxc90site.com

The bushings in the control arms wear out fast. I'm replacing my third set around 160k. The feel of wind blown drifting on the highway has been solved by new control arms on mine. Buy the ball joints at the same time, it makes it bit quicker and they are prolly worn out by now anyway.

Replacing sway bar linkages typically solves rattle issues.

I've been debating replacing the subframe bushings this time (still on the factory set). I'm interested in anyone's experience with that. Has it made a difference in handling?

-Brian
    2004 XC90 2.5T AWD, 157k, 37 states and counting...

2 years ago, I replaced the front control arms and bushings, sway bar links and ball joints. The bushings were gone and the left ball joint totalled. Car ran great for 2 years. Recently, I've noticed a looseness to the suspension when driving over bumps. Mechanic says I need new struts but I think it's just the strut mounts. Thinking of buying Unity complete strut assembly right and left from Rockauto.com. Any thoughts or recommendations?

try the ball joints. if perhaps the rubber gasket protecting the joint has been cracked, water and dirt gets in and the joint grinds itself. have your local auto mechanic see if the ball joints are loose. If so, replace and do a realignment. I found that Firestone Tire and its affiliates offer a lifetime 4 wheel balance and alignment for about $200. Its great. Every time I have an issue with suspension, I fix it and go in for free alignment. If, as is often done, you replace the control arm bushings or control arms, have the Firestone folks check the camber...those who replace the control arms and/or ball joints sometimes loosen the strut clamps so its easy to dismantle and reinstall the ball joints. If they don't mark the angle perfectly, it can be incorrect upon reinstall. It's such an infrequent problem when doing an alignment that most techs don't even consider it. I mentioned that I had done the control arms to the tech who worked on the car and he checked and found the camber was out. Huge improvement in driving and control.

Default Check ball joints frequently

try the ball joints. if perhaps the rubber gasket protecting the joint has been cracked, water and dirt gets in and the joint grinds itself. have your local auto mechanic see if the ball joints are loose. If so, replace and do a realignment. I found that Firestone Tire and its affiliates offer a lifetime 4 wheel balance and alignment for about $200. Its great. Every time I have an issue with suspension, I fix it and go in for free alignment. If, as is often done, you replace the control arm bushings or control arms, have the Firestone folks check the camber...those who replace the control arms and/or ball joints sometimes loosen the strut clamps so its easy to dismantle and reinstall the ball joints. If they don't mark the angle perfectly, it can be incorrect upon reinstall. It's such an infrequent problem when doing an alignment that most techs don't even consider it. I mentioned that I had done the control arms to the tech who worked on the car and he checked and found the camber was out. Huge improvement in driving and control.

Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    The bushings in the control arms wear out fast. I'm replacing my third set around 160k. The feel of wind blown drifting on the highway has been solved by new control arms on mine. Buy the ball joints at the same time, it makes it bit quicker and they are prolly worn out by now anyway.

Replacing sway bar linkages typically solves rattle issues.

I've been debating replacing the subframe bushings this time (still on the factory set). I'm interested in anyone's experience with that. Has it made a difference in handling?

-Brian
    2004 XC90 2.5T AWD, 157k, 37 states and counting...
    2005 with 109000... noticed the car is now slightly fading to the right, for first time. On sharper turns the tires squeak a little, now. Never have changed anything whether it be struts, shocks, bushings, etc. Do the struts and shocks need changing now ? When did you change yours ?