Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks Antherzoll, I'll check those out.

Here's a couple videos that hopefully will help with the identification of the noise. I topped off the differential fluid, but it really wasn't that low at all. I've read a lot about wheel bearings, but I don't think this is the case here, it sounds like either the differential or the VC. Any thoughts?

I replaced the front Angle gear with a decent used part as the one that was on there had some slop in the output shaft.

Center bearing?
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

Quote Originally Posted by Scopeman View Post
    Center bearing?
    Could be, my next step is remove the driveshaft.

Quote Originally Posted by 2008XC70 View Post
    Could be, my next step is remove the driveshaft.
    Removed the driveshaft and the noise is almost completely gone. I feel like I still hear a very faint whine, but maybe only 5% of what it was before. I'll be able to make a better determination on my way home on the highway. The center support didn't have any play and spinning it by hand didn't yield anything spectacular, nor did I expect it to.

I wonder if I could be facing multiple variables here like worn wheel bearings/worn VC.

Does anyone know if the VC or "torque box" simply comes off with two bolts or is it more complex than that?

Thanks!

Replaced both rear wheel bearings and the noise is still present. I ordered a used diff from ebay and hopefully that solves the issue. Luckily it comes with a VC so I will have a spare. The VC is still good on my car.

Funny when replacing the wheel bearings, the part that took the longest was getting rotors off. I had to break out the 10lb sledge hammer and a 2x4.

Been there done that. It was very easy to tell where the noise was coming from once I was under it, while on 4 stands and running in gear. I could even put my hand on the Final Drive (Differential) and "feel" the noise. A used Final Drive with VC was purchased from eBay. I replaced the seals and new Volvo oil in the used FD to be safe. Installed, and all has been good. I think it's the FD pinion that goes or becomes loose, so in reality that might be able to be replaced in the FD, but I have not taken apart my old one to confirm that.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...om-rear-of-car
    Last edited by guymon; 11-02-2015 at 07:49 AM.
    2001 V70XC 150k

Case closed. Got a used differential off ebay, replaced all the seals, swapped it in and put driveshaft back in. Car is good. What a major pain in the *** though. I suppose if I have to do that again in the future, i'll at least know what needs to come off.

Sold the car this afternoon!

The moral is maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.
    MY01 Ocean Race XC70 Blue/Silver

It's kind of incredible how people drink the kool-aid of transmission and angle gear/diff don't need fluid changes! Lifetime fluid my @$$.

Working on another 2001 with transmission shudder. Fluid was never changed!

On my own fleet, they get a drain and fill every other oil change (so about every 15k) and that keep the fluid nice and fresh!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast