Default Check Engine Light - P003F

**UPDATE** After resetting the error code and topping up the oil a week ago, the code has not reappeared. Glad to see the engine is so sensitive to alert you before any damage occurs.

Today the "check engine" light appeared. I connected my OBD-II diagnostic tool and code P003F appeared - 'A' Camshaft Profile Control Stuck on Bank 2.

I noticed the engine oil was at the add mark after a recent oil & filter change. I topped up the oil, reset the code and so far the "check engine" light has stayed off. Tomorrow I'll drive about 200 km to see if this resolved the problem.

From my research, there appears to be 2 of these solenoid controls on top of the 3.2 L engine and can become clogged with oil/sludge.

Has anyone had a similar experience and is my diagnoses sound? Any dealer experiences? My 2008 has 106,000 km.

Thanks .... Cam
    Last edited by CVOLVO; 05-25-2015 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Update status

After 9 days the same check engine light and error code returned. As well, the OBD-II recorded a cylinder 6 misfire. Possibly the sensor is malfunctioning, so I'll find a suitable OEM replacement and report back.

UPDATE 2015-06-10: I did find one of the 3 wires was chewed through by a mouse. I soldered the wire, hoping this was the cause of the error code. Unfortunately, the same problem code returned, along with numerous cylinder misfire messages. As soon as I would reset the codes, they'd return almost immediately along with the original P003F fault code.

I found compatible OEM parts on eBay ranging from $48.95 to $175.32 USD. The manufacturer is Denso JAPAN, has FoMoCo >FPS-(GF30+GB20)> and the Volvo part number 30713599 on the black casing. I can only speculate the open wire caused the sensor to fail. I confirmed with the lowest price seller that this is the identical part, so now I await the shipment from Bakersfield, CA. For this model year an alternate part number of 31272689 is compatible as well.

Be careful when ordering, since Denso makes camshaft sensors for almost every car make, but the part that extends into the camshaft opening varies. I'll update when the part arrives.

UPDATE 2015-07-06: I installed the Camshaft Position Impulse Sensor but this did not cure the problem. Things got even worse with codes P003F, P003E and P030X - indicating a misfire on cylinder x. I replaced the spark plugs at 110,000km with identical to OEM platinum tipped plugs and did some further sleuthing. The culprit seems to have been the variable valve timing solenoid after removing it and manually testing it to confirm the solenoid is in fact "stuck". The part number is 36002689 as is available from numerous Internet parts sources. There are at least 3 other similar VVT devices but since I confirmed this one was defective, I stopped here.

The engine has regained its pep, has not misfired nor caused any check engine OBD codes. I hope this saves anyone the wasted time to pinpoint the most likely causes and what part numbers are involved. I also hope this means case closed.
    Last edited by CVOLVO; 07-07-2015 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Final solution

Same thing with another post I just looked at on this site: It's odd that it was cured since that part number 36002689 is for the EXHAUST VVT but your code is for INTAKE (different solenoid than the one you replaced).

Quote Originally Posted by CVOLVO View Post
    After 9 days the same check engine light and error code returned. As well, the OBD-II recorded a cylinder 6 misfire. Possibly the sensor is malfunctioning, so I'll find a suitable OEM replacement and report back.

UPDATE 2015-06-10: I did find one of the 3 wires was chewed through by a mouse. I soldered the wire, hoping this was the cause of the error code. Unfortunately, the same problem code returned, along with numerous cylinder misfire messages. As soon as I would reset the codes, they'd return almost immediately along with the original P003F fault code.

I found compatible OEM parts on eBay ranging from $48.95 to $175.32 USD. The manufacturer is Denso JAPAN, has FoMoCo >FPS-(GF30+GB20)> and the Volvo part number 30713599 on the black casing. I can only speculate the open wire caused the sensor to fail. I confirmed with the lowest price seller that this is the identical part, so now I await the shipment from Bakersfield, CA. For this model year an alternate part number of 31272689 is compatible as well.

Be careful when ordering, since Denso makes camshaft sensors for almost every car make, but the part that extends into the camshaft opening varies. I'll update when the part arrives.

UPDATE 2015-07-06: I installed the Camshaft Position Impulse Sensor but this did not cure the problem. Things got even worse with codes P003F, P003E and P030X - indicating a misfire on cylinder x. I replaced the spark plugs at 110,000km with identical to OEM platinum tipped plugs and did some further sleuthing. The culprit seems to have been the variable valve timing solenoid after removing it and manually testing it to confirm the solenoid is in fact "stuck". The part number is 36002689 as is available from numerous Internet parts sources. There are at least 3 other similar VVT devices but since I confirmed this one was defective, I stopped here.

The engine has regained its pep, has not misfired nor caused any check engine OBD codes. I hope this saves anyone the wasted time to pinpoint the most likely causes and what part numbers are involved. I also hope this means case closed.