Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Quote Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
    So you are trying to say that it is not all about me? Disappointing.

Tried to make lunch but there were flight delays.

Thank you very much for dragging us along yet again. Even with the weather it was an interesting trip. Good for the rest of us that you two got to bear the brunt of it rather than us.

Hopefully your next outing the weather co-operates a lot more.
    Wherever we set off to next time with the 'TinTent' hooked up I will try to find a restaurant where they know you....promise!

Trust the airlines to let you down, lunch was very nice!

Glad you enjoyed being dragged along, with all the other 'bodies' occupying the 'Third Seat' I think 'Flamenco Red' breathed a sigh of relief when we got back as the suspension went up by a few inches!

We are keeping our fingers crossed that Mother Nature will be kinder on the next trip and I don't have to go out and look for another set of Thermal Underwear to keep warm!

Hi ssicarman!

I stand corrected on the name 'Tommy' as my thinking was incorrect, while another reader has just provided me with the link to Wikipedia where there is an explanation of where it came from!

"Tommy Atkins or Thomas Atkins has been used as a generic name for a common British soldier for many years. The origin of the term is a subject of debate, but it is known to have been used as early as 1743"

While another paragraph says.......

A common belief is that the name was chosen by the Duke of Wellington after having been inspired by the bravery of a soldier at the Battle of Boxtel in 1794 during the Flanders Campaign. After a fierce engagement, the Duke, in command of the 33rd Regiment of Foot, spotted the best man-at-arms in the regiment, Private Thomas Atkins, terribly wounded. The private said "It's all right, sir. It's all in a day's work" and died shortly after. According to the Imperial War Museum, this theory has Wellington choosing the name in 1843.

Then......

"Tommy Gun" is the American submachine gun, invented by (and named after) John T. Thompson in 1918.

Cheers!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112