Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Default Arctic Circle Return 2015

Arctic Circle Return 2015

Preview

Some different places planned in for this tour as we head up through the middle of Scandinavia covering around 2600Miles (4100Km) in the process to get to King Oscar II Church near to Kirkness.
    Then after going around to Mehamn and Slettnes Fyr to see if the paintwork is still good after our first time in 2011, with all that salt sea spray that hammers away at it, we will be heading back down and along the coast of Sweden covering around 3700Miles (6000Km)

So, ‘Buckle up!’ or as some would say ‘BELT UP in the back!’ and let’s be off!

BUT I will let you know that due to quite a number of the locations we are stopping at NOT having any Internet facilities then Blog Updates will not be frequent….

While from a program called Tyre, here is the route we will be taking firstly to get to the top..…

Then after we get there, then this is the route we will use for coming back, but it is different! Trust me!…..

Meanwhile here are the countries that we will be passing through or/and visiting, in a slightly different format to stretch your knowledge…….

Next stop Eurotunnel…….

Arctic Circle Return-2015

UK to Eurotunnel & then Calais (France)

Rise and shine on departure day at 06:30 to hear the ‘pitter patter’ of raindrops on the bedroom window which was not a good omen but surprisingly by 08:30 it had cleared up and a bright blue sky was overhead with a rising temperature to boot!
    So after breakfast it was load up, lock up and head off down to the ‘TinTent’ to put away the rest of the gear and set off for Eurotunnel….

Then within a short time we were once again heading over the Second Severn Crossing and on our way to Folkestone….

While traffic was ‘heavy’ it was at least rolling along, well that was until we got to ‘The Largest Car Park in The World’ also known as the M25 Motorway around London where we joined the ‘Crawl’…….

After getting through that lot it wasn’t long before we saw the signs for The Tunnel……

Then having checked in and got an earlier departure train we had a bit of time to stretch our legs in the car-park and the terminal building…..

Then it time to go through the Security & Gas Check to make sure the Gas Bottles were turned off before we got into the line for boarding….

As the Green Light came on and the barrier rose we started to make our way around to the train and we could see the open carriages that are used to carry the Trucks through the Tunnel…..

The 45 minutes after departing we are rolling off and into France….

With some of the elevated roads leading back to the train for booking in, it will be some time (Hopefully) before we are back on them…..

As we then pass some of the more interesting buildings on this side of the Channel as we head for our first overnight stop….

Tomorrow will hopefully see us into Germany, but it will be a long day…..

Calais (France) to Herford (Germany)

Managed to get away at 07:00 this morning while agreeing to have breakfast en-route as we had around 350 Miles to cover today.

Sunrise as we set off this morning……

An ‘Arena’ that is also a very large shopping centre….

Going into the Kennedy Tunnel, but you drive through this one….

As we get to a stretch of road in Belgium that has been in a diabolical condition for a very long time, it seems the ‘Powers at B’ have decided to completely re-build it which on a normal travel day must create havoc with one side shut!

Now into the Netherlands…

Building Sand Castles…..

Via a conveyor system….

As a small flat pontoon sucks it up from the bottom of a BIG pond then sends it ashore where the water is drained out of it by the Bucket & Filter machine on the left of the next picture…..

As we cross one of the large rivers with the Barges moving along it….

Then past a rather interesting building which at one point we thought was a hotel, but we couldn’t see any windows!!!

Specially designed ‘Chopper’ for something else, but not sure what…..

Then finally we are coming to our next stop in Germany…..

Sited up and kettle on for a well deserved cup of tea and coffee….

While as the Sun went down this ‘Blue Streak’ went across the bridge alongside the campsite. It was a local train, but seemed like a fast express train….

With a couple of pictures of the other parts of the campsite, as we call it a day…

It’s not often you manage to drive through 3 countries before lunch and finally ending the day in the fourth, but that is what happened today…

After arriving at the campsite I went back to a Total Garage just around the corner to fill up with Diesel at €1.15/Litre which was strangely cheaper than France!

The following morning as we set off to go into the town centre I could not help but notice the price was now €1.28/Litre! As we came back from the town in the early afternoon it was down to €1.18/Litre and by 17:00hrs it was again €1.15/Litre, so I went in and asked how the price was ‘controlled’. The reply was that the HQ in Berlin controls the price and can ‘adjust’ the signs at the garages with the touch of a button!

Glad I filled up late in the afternoon!

Meanwhile, heading off into the town centre, firstly along the river…..

Then passed this strangely shaped house but a nice blossoming tree a bit further along…

We get to the Weir on the river and the fountain….

Then after a couple of right and left turns we are in the Old Town…..

With a ‘Space Age’ Loo (WC) in the centre, which you pays your money, then the doors open, you step inside and they close, and you thought you might have been in a Spaceship!

It was nice to get out and back into the Town Square….

With the Town’s Coat of Arms set in the floor….

While this inscription on a water fountain was fascinating….

Along with the fountain…..

Then some more of the Old Town as it was definitely more interesting that ‘Going Shopping’!!!

Then it was time to head back to the campsite for evening meal and get ready for the next leg which would see us in Puttgarden for the ferry to Denmark.

Herford to Puttgarden

Another day of Motorway/Freeway and in some parts very heavy traffic with long virtually stationery vehicles while this one was going the other way, we had a few on our side of the road, which after you got moving again you wondered why as there was no valid reason!

As we came off the ‘Autobahn’ for a comfort & coffee break we spot this place as we had to park at the side of the road as we could not get into any of the car-parks, and NO I haven’t turned the picture upside down, the place was built like that!.....

Although you can visit the place, as we put away our ‘on view’ items in ‘Flamenco Red’ for security a Bus rolled up and 50+ visitors got off all of whom were over 60+ years young and went to visit the place, so we just headed for the comfort and coffee….

Then as we came back I still could not turn around so we had to go a bit further down the road to be able to and spotted this place, but the skis had been sold a long time ago…..

Back on the road and up around Hamburg and as we come to this Tunnel we see Container Cranes rolling across the top with containers slung beneath!
    Fingers crossed they don’t drop one as we go through!

Interesting water tower…

As we reach the last couple of miles to Puttgarden crossing this bridge….

Around the traffic island and into Lidl (On the right) for some fresh items, then across to Edeka (On the left) to see if they had any ‘Woolly Hats’ as the wind chill was not nice and we forgot to put the Thermal Hats in.
    Luck was with us and we got them!

As we make our way to the Aires that we will stop at for the night we pass these ‘Pirates’ one of whom seems to be pointing to a group of Seagulls who are not being very kind to them, as they keep getting covered in white ‘stuff’…..

Then we see ‘The Border Shop’ and go to have a quick look while the place would be more aptly named as ‘The BOOZE Boat’!
    It is four Floors/Decks of nothing but different types of alcohol with a few candies in different spots.
    The ‘Customers’ must love it as they all come out with their shopping trolleys piled high!

As we pull out of the car park we pass a statue of one of the ‘Pilgrims’ from earlier times….

Tomorrow is over the water on the short ferry crossing to Denmark…

Puttgarden to Faro

Off for the Ferry from Puttgarden after a really nice quiet night on the coast outside of town!
    It wasn’t long before we were at the ‘Checkin’

While as the service runs every 20 minutes it wasn’t long before we are going up the ramp and into the bowels of the ship….

Once on board you can wander around and go outside but not into all the accessible areas as I don’t think they like the extra work of keeping them clean and tidy, so you only get a small area…

OK so what is a ‘Hybrid Ferry’?
    Well that one runs on either Diesel or Electric Batteries!

Not long and we are coming into the port of Rødby in Denmark…

Then a short while later we are ‘rolling off’…..

Even though it was quite windy the sails on this windmill were not turning and I think more for show….

Then it was over the bridge to our next stop at Faro…

Really is a nice place to spend a few hours….

‘Camping’ facilities includes fresh drinking water, grey & chemical waste disposal and WC’s….

After a bit of lunch I decided to re-make the 13 connections on the plug that supplies the power to the ‘Tin Tent’ as the last 6 months have been a nightmare of intermittent ‘problems’ between the Indicator & Brake Lights as I keep getting a message on the dashboard telling me ‘Light Failure on Trailer’!
    When they have been checked while the message was there and we were stationary there was nothing wrong.

Having completed that we decided the only way to see if that had resolved the ‘problem’ was to carry on so off we went to the next ferry in Helsingor….

Faro to Jönköping and on to Katrinehamms

OK so after around 50 miles the ‘problem’ with the lights returned as we made our way to the Helsingbro – Helsingborg Ferry, but thankfully all the lights on the ‘TinTent’ continued to operate albeit that when I pressed the brakes and wanted to turn left or right the ‘Blinkers’ started running like a machine gun in action as opposed to their normal mode of operation like a ticking clock, while I got the message on the dashboard telling me a bulb had failed!

So we carried on to the Ferry….

As some of the roads you travel on to get to this ferry pass through residential areas you get to see the occasional nice old house….

Then as we get into the ferry port there is the boat just coming into the quay…

Quick check in and it was into the correct lane for boarding….

As we then have a short wait for the inbound vehicles to come off….

Being quite open on deck we were able to watch our passage on the TomTom GPS which also told us how fast we were going while it seemed strange to be sat on the water with nothing underneath!...

Next thing we are rolling off the boat and into Helsingborg….

To then make our way through the City Centre to head North East…

As it wasn’t far to our next Aires for the next night’s halt it was surprising to see that it was nearly full at this time of year, but just as we got set up the heavens opened and the rain came tumbling down which put paid to any walkabout…..

Back on the road the following morning with the first stop to get the Gas Bottle refilled with Propane as it was getting quite low, while the refill would take place in Jönköping, then we might be able to have look around that city while we were there….

Sorry, hit a ‘bump’ as the next picture was taken and could not go back for a repeat….

Gas Bottle refilled successfully, then after getting directions to a large car park and parking up, we went into the City Centre and on the way spotted this bird on its nest quite close to the road and walkway…..

While on the Traffic Island it looked like someone had forgotten their Easter Egg…

Turning through 90 degrees we got this nice view across the inner lake….

While at the rear of the Cultural Hall were all these Speaker Horns sticking out of the ground….

Walking towards the City Centre we follow the Canal that joins the inner lake to the very large outer lake….

While in the centre it is nice to see the old and new buildings together….

Next up was the very large church…

While outside was some more of the older part of the city….

Then it was time to head back to the car park and make our way to Kristinehamms which was to be our next stop for the night….

As we got to Kristinehamms and our intended halt we find that the campsite has been sold and turned into a McDonalds Restaurant!
    I then found a local man who told us that there was another campsite which we then set off for, while on the way calling into a Volvo Garage to see if they could help with the lamp ‘problem’ but they were closing for the day and no Technicians were around.

So off we went to the campsite and found reception was closed, but a call to the Duty Manager brought him back and he opened up for us to spend the night and go to reception to check in formally the following morning.

After getting set up I then attacked the Wi-Fi and got the Blog started and updated, and after dinner it was time for a bit of shut eye.

Let’s see what tomorrow brings…..

Kristinehamms to Filipstad

When I went to reception the following morning I was told that unless I was prepared to purchase a Swedish Camping Card we could not stay, so as I decided not to as one of the other ones I have should have been accepted but wasn’t, we packed up and went back to the Volvo Garage where a Technician proved with a special piece of kit that the ‘problem’ was not in ‘Flamenco Red’ but was definitely in the ‘TinTent’.

But as all was still working we decided to head off North again and as we did so this little ‘Slow Mover’ holds up the traffic as it makes a left turn….

As we continue along the ‘Inlandsvagen’ (Inland Road) to Filipstad we start to pass a few of the many lakes in Sweden, some with very nice Summer Cottages on the side of the lake….

While this railway station which is a Grill House welcomes all for it’s food except Caravans, so we kept going!......

This strange building had some significance as the name was clear on the front but the letters were partly blocked by the railings as we passed by….

With another ‘Monument’ at the end of this village as we passed through….

Pulled into a small roadside café for a break with some nice surroundings outside….

Then back on the road for the final 12Km to Filipstad….

After finding a large car park at the very edge of town we set off once again to have a look around and the first thing we see is this statue of a famous old time actor on a traffic island…..

While down by the lake is…..

On the outside at the back of the Cannon you can see a lump of metal which has a screw thread in it.
    We think that this was used to raise or lower the Cannon to alter the angle at which it was fired….

There were two of the Cannons and both seemed to be protecting this church….

As we then found the Tourist Office which was open but the person who ran it had stepped out to lunch we spotted this Pre HD Cinema Projector…..

While after picking up a couple of brochures we walk over to the fast flowing river….

While just set back from the river was the famous old time actor

Then moving more into the centre of the town as we pass a rather nice cake shop we spot this old cash register in the window….

With a nice church and a couple of the older buildings which are still in excellent condition….

Then a bit further on is this water vane but not sure if it was used some time ago for Hydro Power….

One of the brochures we picked up was for Munkebergs Camping which was very close by, so we went back to the car park and after getting the GPS Co-ordinates from a little program called ‘Map.me’ which you can install and use off line on your Mobile Phone off we went.

As it was lunch time ‘Reception’ was closed so after speaking with another couple who were also staying there we decided to pick a place and get set up along with having some lunch and then go to check in when Reception was open.

It was at that point we found out that we had come to another SCR campsite, but the owner was a bit more practical and business minded and agreed to us staying for 2 nights.

So this so far was the only picture that was taken but a few more will follow…

After then sorting that out I decided to see if I could get to the bottom of the ‘Trailer Bulb Failure’ problem and set about taking off each rear light housing at the back of the ‘TinTent’ along with the lights for the Registration Plate, which inside were full of dust and Morocco sand!

Then removed all the connectors from each bulb holder as on a couple there are more than one, cleaned them up and re-fitted the connectors, while also removing and cleaning each bulb, along with the power and earth connections in the bulb holder.

After all that I then ‘tested’ it and got no ‘Trailer Bulb Failure’ message nor did the indicators go faster when I pressed the brake pedal, so hopefully the ‘problem’ has been resolved, but a longer run which will be in a couple of days will be the real ‘test’ so I am keeping fingers crossed when we start the next leg.

As we wind up today with a sunset that was rather pleasant….

A day around Filipstad

Firstly a few pictures from around the campsite and close by as: ‘The Sun has got his hat on today hip hip hip hooray!’ with a bright blue sky all around us.

The view from our pitch at the side of the ‘TinTent’

As I took the previous picture I could hear Swans overhead and looking up 2 of them were flying about 300 feet apart, so I am not sure if one was telling the other to ‘Hurry up’ or it was a general conversation so they both kept flying close together, but it was interesting to watch on a clear crisp morning.

Across the lake in the middle of a field I spotted this old British Telecom Telephone Box but there was no sign of ‘ET’ or any Spaceships dropping down…

While perched on a little island was this rather nice Summer House…

Then swinging around back to the campsite here we are…..

An Owl carved in a tree stump….

While outside just around the corner were these two gentlemen who had ‘petrified’ while waiting for the Mini Golf to open up!.....

Then we came to a rather interesting part on the other side of the river to the campsite, and while it was closed to the public the pictures and information boards ‘painted the picture’ of a previous industry here…..

Through a wider than normal crack in one of the doors I managed to get a picture of part of the inside, but not sure what the machinery you can see does…

Remember that old time actor whose picture was in the previous update, but we had no details about him?
    Well now we have…..

In case you have forgotten here he is again…..

Going into the town centre we called into the Supermarket and spotted a DIY BOOZE Bottle on the shelf!
    Various ‘alcoholic flavours’ were available in bottles which you bought and then after getting them home you added the alcohol to them to make your drink!

The ‘extract’ is Non Alcoholic so the Supermarket can legally sell it, while you would presumably have to go to one of the ‘Systembolaget’ shops which are strictly controlled to get the alcohol to mix with it….

Now into the centre and a few more sights there….

Walking along the path next to the river we come to…..

While the Museum itself was closed….

Turn around and follow the river back to the car park

Then as we got back to the campsite we went off for a short walk along one of the many dirt roads.
    While passing a large farm we see all the Cows lined up enjoying lunch, so we then headed back to the ‘TinTent’ for ours!

Back on the road again tomorrow heading further North!

Looks like it will be a good trip. Looking forward to the rest of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
    Looks like it will be a good trip. Looking forward to the rest of it.
    So are we if we can resolve the 'wee problems' that are 'lighting' up this adventure!

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast