Default Did the dealership set the timing wrong?

2004 XC70
    I'm doing the obvious today, timing/serpentine belt and associated pulleys and tensioners. Thought I'd share my findings and maybe ask for some advice from those who've seen this before.

The timing belt was last replaced at 113K (by a Volvo Dealership in the Twin Cities, MN). We bought the car at 128K, the car is now at 189k and I'm pulling the covers off to do the timing belt and here's what I find.

The crank is set where (I think) it needs to be set:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1275.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	6952

With that there, here's where the cam pulleys align. The intake cam is aligned with the timing cover alignment notch, exhaust cam mark is set CW +5 teeth from timing cover alignment notch.

Name:	IMG_1277.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	6953

Name:	IMG_1262.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	6954

After seeing this, a few things rattle around in my head, aside from annoyance.
    1. "Assuming the cam pulleys haven't been off before, I'm amazed that this car runs, especially as well as it does, and doesn't make any valve noise."
    2. "Maybe I'm just blowing it way out of proportion - a couple teeth off is an acceptable mistake."
    3. "But how in thee hell did he manage to get the timing so far off, and not happen to notice his carelessness?"
    4. "Well, I guess on a positive note, the timing belt is in rather good shape."
    5. "But how do I proceed from here? Slap the new belt on it with the cams set where they are? I mean if I can manage to do at least that, I know it'll still run just like it did."
    6. "Or do I "correct" the cam positioning and "hope" I am righting a 76K mile old wrong?

I do not own the cam alignment tool apparatus by the way. Though I'm not sure you'd need that since the head's not been off.

Totally unrelated, well, sort of:
    Last week I just did all the drivetrain fluids (haldex, bevel gear, rear diff, tranny T-IV last summer). The bevel gear has clearly been out of the car before to do the "factory reseal job". The fill plug, which is pretty damn big I might add, was obviously cross threaded by the tech when he put it back in. Halfway in, he musta realized "this doesn't feel quite right", backed it out, then put it in on whatever remained of the original threads. When I backed it out, nice shards of the fractured threads came falling out. My feeling is, the same tech that did that "job", also did the timing belt on this car 75K miles ago.

The collective Volvo forums have been such a huge help, so I want to say thanks to all of you smart guys who've put together all this information.
    Any thoughts?

- Pete -
    Last edited by - Pete -; 03-18-2015 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Crank pulley realignment, intake cam not off, exhaust still off

If you have no codes displayed the timing is OK
    If you're only one tooth off after a few miles it will pop a CHECK ENGINE LIGHT
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

That was fast.
    No codes, whatsoever, since we've owned it.
    So, if the crank is aligned right, what is a reasonable explanation for why the cam alignment marks are so far out?
    From here, just mark the teeth on the old belt that align with the notches in the timing cover with white-out, transfer marks to new belt, and go?

The true marks are on the other end of cam shafts. If the exhaust cam gear was removed for changing the seal, technically it does not have to be put back with its mark aligned with the cover as long as the shaft is locked in the aligned position. Of course only sloppy tech would do that, but he should at least remark the cam gear. If the car runs fine I would put a new mark on the cam gear before removing the belt.

DYZ
    2005 Volvo XC70, Ash Gold, 210K miles

It almost always goes back with new marks, this "tech" did not mark it properly

2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

I transferred the marks from the belt to the cams/crank, and then those to the new belt. Should be retard proof.

I'm reading there are 2 versions of the timing belt tensioner, according to this thread, which are not interchangeable.

The timing belt kit and other stuff I got from FCP came with the one on the left. The one on the right came off the car, and the bearing feels fine still. I measured every aspect with a caliper, I see no reason why the replacement version would not work?

Attachment 6955

If indeed these are interchangeable, in which position do you set the tensioner "arms?
    Position 1?
    Attachment 6956

Or 2?
    Attachment 6957
    Last edited by - Pete -; 03-28-2015 at 08:27 PM. Reason: -

The cam marks on my 2005 are the finest of lines, almost like scratches. I finally found them by aligning the crank mark, until something making sense appeared in the expected location on the cams. I found the crank mark much easier to see with the serpentine belt and crank pulley removed. Next time I will use a cam lock on the cam pulleys, just to keep them stationary. Not really necessary, but insures against bumping a cam off.
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

DON'T do it
    Get the correct tensioner, these are VIN break specific