Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by shin91 View Post
    Thanks mate, I pulled the dipstick out and there was smoke coming out while the engine was running, and that confirmed that the PCV needs to be replaced.
    Been reading heavily into the subject and have purchased the kit from IPD USA.

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4991/...rbo-5-cylinder

However, can someone enlighten me whether this includes the nipple?
    If it doesn't can I just get my mechanic to clean the current one?

If it can't be cleaned, does IPD sell them seperately? Can't find anything under "nipple"
    I bought the kit from IPD for my 2002xc70. It came with everything you need for the PCV system.
    On mine, the PTC nipple is attached or being part of the air intake tube that goes from the air filter box to the turbo. I removed the tube and did the cleaning without removing the PTC nipple.
    I don't think they sell PTC nipple as a single item so you gotta buy the whole thing if you wish to change the PTC nipple.
    2002 V70XC Cross Country 178k (km)
    young stubborn guy with his wagon
    Service Logs: http://tinyurl.com/o9fld84

I use the XC90 T6 part for about 30 bucks and "mate" it to the long tube
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

I think the nipple can usually be carefully cleaned. Mine was fine when I did the breather job, but I will be checking it soon.
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

Quote Originally Posted by Scopeman View Post
    FWIW, my 2005 with 103,000 uses about 1/2 quart of M1 0W-40 in 3000 miles. This is with a complete breather job about a year ago. If I use 5W-30 it will burn about twice that. Runs great, and I don't know where the oil is going, maybe turbo, or perhaps rings and valve guide seals as well. I bought it a little over two years ago with 75K on it. I believe it was mostly dealer serviced by the original owner.
    It seems that some of these use some oil, and some do not.
    However, the OP's car is way too much, and no doubt needs a breather job.
    same here, did the PCV last summer and it's burning still, not sure the amount just yet, but it has been down. I'm thinking I will have to go into the oil pan and check the passage way up the middle of the block where it connects to the PCV, perhaps this is clogged from down below.

When I did the referenced breather job, I checked the drain passage to the pan, it seemed fine. I was able to easily blow air down into the sump. To me, 1/2 qt. between changes is not an issue.
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

Quote Originally Posted by shin91 View Post
    At this stage, after reading on the forums and research I'm leaning toward getting the breather box replaced by the dealership.

Not confident and do not have tools to DIY - would like to leave to a pro.
    It seems you have all the advice you need and that you've confirmed that it's indeed blocked.

I bought a PCV kit for mine (2006 V70 2.5 turbo) and at 110K miles when I did mine, it wasn't clogged, but it seems that the major factor may be getting the car up to temp each time you drive it. The previous owner of mine had a 40 mile (64km) commute each way. The engine gets fully hot and any moisture in the oil is evaporated and doesn't emulsify and sludge up the PCV drain. Short drives might clog it up quicker.

Alas, the kit was around $350 if I remember right, and I spent a weekend lazily doing the work and cleaning the parts and engine as I went. I can understand if you're reluctant to do it. It's not HARD, it's just tedious. I could probably be convinced to part with $500 to have someone else so it.

Here are some pictures of my operation: http://imgur.com/a/svQXo

15000 km oil changes shouldn't be a problem - I change mine every 10K miles (about 16000km) and my oil analysis shows plenty of life left in the oil. My car uses maybe half a quart of oil in that time. If you want to stick with that oil change interval, you might want to get your oil analysed once or twice at that interval to ensure it's holding up properly to your driving style and conditions.

Thanks for all the replies, waiting for the kit and will let you guys know whether the oil continues to burn or it stops (fingers crossed!)

Also measure compression in cylinders.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

My methodology for approaching this problem might get me some odd looks, though I would like to share with you some applicable experience on an old Volvo 850 I had.
    I had a similar issue with oil use and found that if I added Lubi Molly MOS2 and Lubri Molly Oil saver my oil consumption stopped ( or wasn't noticeable on the dip-stick).
    Therefore for 30,000 miles for every 5,000 miles I added the aforementioned additives during every oil change with positive results.

I have also used these products on an Lexus IS250 AWD that my family has owned since it was new-good stuff.

I am also a firm believer in following the manual, but if you read up on Molly and its properties, you will find that it's safe.
    Also Lubri-Molly & the TUV test their products-which makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
    The products are available at NAPA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMJ1Fl1B77E

http://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-202.../dp/B00CPL8WY8

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend View Post
    It seems you have all the advice you need and that you've confirmed that it's indeed blocked.

I bought a PCV kit for mine (2006 V70 2.5 turbo) and at 110K miles when I did mine, it wasn't clogged, but it seems that the major factor may be getting the car up to temp each time you drive it. The previous owner of mine had a 40 mile (64km) commute each way. The engine gets fully hot and any moisture in the oil is evaporated and doesn't emulsify and sludge up the PCV drain. Short drives might clog it up quicker.

Alas, the kit was around $350 if I remember right, and I spent a weekend lazily doing the work and cleaning the parts and engine as I went. I can understand if you're reluctant to do it. It's not HARD, it's just tedious. I could probably be convinced to part with $500 to have someone else so it.

Here are some pictures of my operation: http://imgur.com/a/svQXo

15000 km oil changes shouldn't be a problem - I change mine every 10K miles (about 16000km) and my oil analysis shows plenty of life left in the oil. My car uses maybe half a quart of oil in that time. If you want to stick with that oil change interval, you might want to get your oil analysed once or twice at that interval to ensure it's holding up properly to your driving style and conditions.
    Yep I've actually been trying to do longer trips.. however its not always possible living in the city.
    Lucky you mate.. booked my car in for the 14th April so looking forward to getting back to the forum with good news.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12