Default CV Joint or 'tone ring'

Two years ago (at around 160,000 miles) I started to get symptoms that felt like worn CV joints - in tight left turns I'd get a once-per-revolution noise, but it wasn't really a click - more of a crunch, and along with it the car would be held back a little like something was binding, and while this was happening the 'traction control light' would come on momentarily. It got progressively worse for a 9 months until I had a broken spring at 172,000 miles, so while it was in to the neighborhood garage I had 2 Empire axles installed. The tech felt the noise wasn't the joint, but was due to the heavily corroded 'tone ring' causing some ABS activity. What ever the cause, the problem went away....until this month. Now at 186,000 miles the symptom is back.

So the question is, did I lose another CV joint in only 14,000 miles, or is it really an ABS issue? Can I disable the ABS system somehow to see if this goes away?

On a possibly related note, about a month ago I lost a rear wheel bearing that was so far gone it took out the ABS sensor as well - there was none available when the car was in the shop so the ABS light is now on constantly.
    Last edited by skibo; 03-11-2015 at 12:14 PM.
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.

I pulled the ABS fuse tonight and the noise went away - will take a look at the ring once some of this snow melts. I'm surprised I haven't seen mention of this issue in all the years I've been on this forum. Maybe the degree of road salt in my corner of the great white north is unusual.
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)

Quote Originally Posted by skibo View Post
    I pulled the ABS fuse tonight and the noise went away - will take a look at the ring once some of this snow melts. I'm surprised I haven't seen mention of this issue in all the years I've been on this forum. Maybe the degree of road salt in my corner of the great white north is unusual.
    If you have a split ring which apparently is fairly common in corrosive environments (i.e. road salt or salt air), you should get an ABS light. No light, you might have a bearing, a stone caught somewhere, or some other issue on that corner.

Good luck,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Cheap replacement axles often do have problems with ABS rings. People often reuse rings from OE axles.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    Cheap replacement axles often do have problems with ABS rings. People often reuse rings from OE axles.
    Rings are available as a separate PN. I got mine from a place in the UK via eBay for something like $8 a pop plus shipping. http://www.reluctorrings.com/cars/volvo

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'02 V70XC-gone @393K kms

Bill - how have those rings held up? If I do have a bad ring ( and I'm pretty sure I do) it lasted less than 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by skibo View Post
    Bill - how have those rings held up? If I do have a bad ring ( and I'm pretty sure I do) it lasted less than 12 months.
    I put mine in going on 2 years ago and so far so good. The ones that I got at the link in my post were plated with something (silver-coloured, zinc?) and when I last looked back before Christmas the plating was still on, looking good. And that's with a fair dose of road salt and the ever constant sea air that the car sits out in.

From what I've read its isn't the ring itself getting rusty that causes them to crack although I suspect the rust on the ring probably weakens them some. It is rust on the ring land on the CV housing that builds up putting pressure on the ring typically causing them to crack in between teeth where they are the thinnest.

Cheers,

Bill
    Last edited by billr99; 03-20-2015 at 06:54 AM.
    Western Head, NS CDN

'02 V70XC-gone @393K kms