Default Brake Lights 2004XC

Dash warning system is telling me I have a "stop light out" changed both just to be sure (A pain for big hands), one had blown. and now all is fine, or at least I thought.

I am getting the message again but the side and high level brake lights are fine.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Is the likely problem with the dash board, the brake pedal sensor or a relay somewhere on the car.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Blame Me; 03-09-2015 at 01:39 PM.
    2004 XC70, 120000 Miles, Silver over Graphite, 3rd row & child booster seats. Xenia Alloys,

If the cruise control is not engaging then it is, for sure, brake pedal sensor.
    I recently replaced it after DTC related to brake pedal sensor.
    It is located in engine over at the brake booster.
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

Thanks Xheart, only just had the time to start testing a few things this weekend.

Starting with the simple, checked the bulbs to see if they were correct, and it seems I purchased the wrong ones (no idea how I managed that, senior moment I guess). I bought and installed 1141LL 18.4W which have a lower wattage rating than should be used, I should of purchased the 21W 1156 bulb.

Looks like that difference in wattage may of produced the error I've been getting. If not I'll move on to the relays and then the more expensive brake pedal sensor.

Doh!

*Update*

Just to confirm, after swapping out the wrong bulbs for the correct version everything is now as it should be, blame the idiot who bought the wrong ones...... oh that would be me, hence the name.
    Last edited by Blame Me; 03-16-2015 at 10:05 AM.
    2004 XC70, 120000 Miles, Silver over Graphite, 3rd row & child booster seats. Xenia Alloys,

My brake lights are on all the time. Car on and car off.... Started today after I had to slam on the brakes because well people in atlanta don't know how to drive... any ideas

Quote Originally Posted by neokhz View Post
    My brake lights are on all the time. Car on and car off.... Started today after I had to slam on the brakes because well people in atlanta don't know how to drive... any ideas
    Guess you figured it out http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...-always-on-now That's one hard push of the pedal, glad you sorted it out