Thread: Vadis

Default Vadis

Hi. I'm trying to figure out how to get a good shop manual for my Volvo XC 72,002.

I purchased some DVDs on eBay but they did not work luckily I was able to get my money refunded.

I am a primary Mac user. Would anyone know how I can get a complete shop manual for this car?

Thanks in advance.
    Stephen

Best way is to download a copy of VIDA (try getting hold of one of the 2012 versions) via a torrent (and thus free) and run it on your Mac via a Parallels or VMWare Fusion virtual machine. VIDA is the factory manual with all the parts diagrams and R&R procedures. Alternatively, you could get a Haynes; but in this particular car, they are kind of a waste of money. VIDA is your best bet.

If you decide to go the VIDA route there are plenty of threads on the subject (installation, etc.) on this forum as well as Swedespeed, et. al.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

I d/l a VIDA file but could not extract it. Should it be first burned to a DVD?

Quote Originally Posted by sanfelice View Post
    I d/l a VIDA file but could not extract it. Should it be first burned to a DVD?
    Depending on what kind of file you have it doesn't have to be. If it is an .ISO file you can either mount it as a "virtual" drive (using DiskMounter in OSX) or use an appropriate tool (Toast in OSX, for example) to burn it to a DVD. If you are in Windows, there are similar tools but I've been away from Windows too long to recommend any current products that have the same functionality. If you have a box with enough guts to it there are also pre-built VMs (virtual machines) that are already set up and working, you just need to download and run them with something like Parallels or Fusion (again, if you are OSX).

Perhaps the guys that posted links to those pre-built VMs will repost the links here so that there is a more up-to-date reference to them.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'02 V70XC-gone @393K kms

I recently tried re-downloading the Windows XP/Volvo Vida VM files (7) posted in an earlier thread but only the first file would successfully download correctly - all the others were corrupted. Having said that you can get a copy of VM Fusion for Mac free for 30 days and there must be someone in your area who already has Vida/Dice who will lend you their copy of Vida. It is very simple to install and the benefit of using VM over Apple's Boot Camp is that you don't have to boot out of OSX to use VM, unlike Boot Camp!
    MY01 Ocean Race XC70 Blue/Silver

I downloaded those files about 3 weeks ago with success. I did have to re-try a couple of them to get them all, but in the end it is working perfectly.

Thanks for all the feedback so far! Would anyone happen to have a link or a good source for downloading a torrent for VIDA?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenxc View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback so far! Would anyone happen to have a link or a good source for downloading a torrent for VIDA?
    PM Sent

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'02 V70XC-gone @393K kms

I just downloaded a 5 GB Volvo vita 2010 Torrent but I'm still having installation issues running windows XP on my new Mac Pro here are some screenshots.
    http://prntscr.com/6gc4lu
    http://prntscr.com/6gc4s2

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenxc View Post
    I just downloaded a 5 GB Volvo vita 2010 Torrent but I'm still having installation issues running windows XP on my new Mac Pro here are some screenshots.
    http://prntscr.com/6gc4lu
    http://prntscr.com/6gc4s2
    Since you are using Parallels set up your VM to use 2 processors, 4 Gb of RAM and 1Mb of Video RAM (assuming your Pro is a quad with at least 8Gb of RAM). If you don't want to get the resolution error that I mentioned in my PM to you (that I just sent BTW), set the resolution in your VM to 1280 x 768 at least. Then mount the VIDA .ISO file so that you see it as an attached drive and you should be good to go.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'02 V70XC-gone @393K kms