Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Looks very much like the angle gear collar is stripped, time to get underneath and see will the propshaft turn to verify this

When it comes to AWD repairs, replacing the angle gear collar is not a big deal though it does take some time to do - there are several articles over at Swedespeed and some Youtube videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
    Good news is the Volvo dealership might pick up the bill to fix it.
    Be prepared for a $3000 repair shock.
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

My 2007 had no power to the rear wheels when I bought it at 91k miles. I bought it knowing there were ABS/DSTC codes (and other probs), with the price adjusted to match.

First, DEM module was bad so I had it rebuilt (Xemodex $700). The ABS/DSTC codes disappeared, but still no power to the rear wheels. Driveshaft was turning so angle gear was operational. Only culprit at this point was the rear diff. Turns out the AOC pump was bad. AOC pump probably stalled or had an internal short that destroyed the DEM. AOC fluid was in terrible shape causing the AOC pump to work harder than it should. I shopped around for an indy mechanic to replace the AOC pump, filter & fluid. Quotes were $800-$1200 depending on the shop. The $800 shop had it fixed in half a day. AWD is now solid. The car is unstoppable in the snow.

After the fix, my only concern is that the AWD takes at least 1/2 second or more to kick in, then it kicks in HARD. Like, the front wheels spin for a bit... then the rear wheels engage and the car takes off like it was rear-ended by a train. Seems like it should engage more smoothly - rather than going from zero rear drive to almost 100% rear drive in an instant.
    ---

Bad part about a used Volvo is the previous owner's deferred maintenance. Good part about a used Volvo is that they are reliable as a tank once the PO's issues are resolved.
    Last edited by howie2092; 03-17-2015 at 08:10 PM.
    2007 XC70 Lowered 3" with S60AWD springs, V70R sway bars, 18" Atlantis rims, 12" big brake upgrade, JRL resonator mod, IPD skid plate, tweaked wastegate pushrod, stupid fast.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by The Landshark View Post
    Looks very much like the angle gear collar is stripped, time to get underneath and see will the propshaft turn to verify this

The propshaft is spinning freely with the car in park and four wheels down...

I also did the lift of right tire tric w/ car in neutral and the right wheel spins freely...

Do I need a Angle Gear Service Kit (collar) that cost $165 P/N 9495034 or do I need the Angle Gear Transfer case that costs $900 (used) P/N 8602919 8603809?
    Last edited by Vicki; 10-17-2015 at 12:23 PM.

Depends. If you're lucky the collar sleeve didn't strip the splines on the angle gear so the angle gear can be reused, otherwise you'll need a new AG. Only way to tell is to inspect it.
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12