Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default XC 70 AWD Issue (not working, not engaging) - All Wheel Drive

Hi I'm new to the forums and I would like some pointers.

I just got an 06' XC70 last month and yesterday I faced the first snow w/ it. The experience was terrible for an AWD car.

I live on a slight hill and the car would not go up, I asked for a tow from a mechanic neighbor and he noticed that the rear wheels were not spinning at all...

So I searched the forums and online and it looks like a pretty common issue w/ the AWD system on the XC70.

I just wanna know I'm on the right direction here. Possible issue (found online):

- Haldex pressure sensor needs cleaning?
    - DEM module went bad;
    - Stripped angle sleeve;
    - Bad Haldex.
    *(Thanks JRL)

The car is running fine and if it wasnt for the neighbor pointing out the AWD is not functioning I wouldn't have noticed (no weird noises or clunks).

The vehicle has 140K miles.

How do I know that in fact all I need is this kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151453148513 to fix my issue?

How many hours, how much a mechanic will charge to replace that part?

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

OK so there are 4 common things that may cause your issue. On a side note the kit you linked will work but only if the angle gear collar is bad. As for labor Most shops will charge at least 4 hours or more since they need to remove the passenger side axle shaft, exhaust system to remove the driveshaft and than unbolt the angle gear and replace the collar. If they don't have the correct tool it might take them awhile to get it off and than re install everything.

But before you go doing all that lets check if it bad to start.

First thing i would do is set the parking brake and put the car in Neutral (engine off). Next i would lift up the right front tire only off the ground and rotate it by hand.

If the Angle gear collar is fine the drive shaft will rotate, If the drive shaft doesn't rotate than the collar gear is your issue.

If the angle gear passes than your looking at either the DEM module, AOC (haldex) pump or Pressure sensor.

A easy way to determine which one it might be is the have the car scanned with a dice/vida, since if there is a issue with the haldex the DEM will most like DEM-0006 and DEM-0007 are most common.

My AWD issue was DEM-0006 code which related to the AOC pump had died or really clogged, but since to find out if it was bad i would have to removed the drive shaft already i decided to just replace it.

The screen on my old pump was clogged so i made sure to clean out the hole it was in along with replacing the AOC filter and fresh haldex fluid added.

Everything is good to go now for me.
    Last edited by volvospeed70; 03-02-2015 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by volvospeed70 View Post
    OK so there are 4 common things that may cause your issue. On a side note the kit you linked will work but only if the angle gear collar is bad. As for labor Most shops will charge at least 4 hours or more since they need to remove the passenger side axle shaft, exhaust system to remove the driveshaft and than unbolt the angle gear and replace the collar. If they don't have the correct tool it might take them awhile to get it off and than re install everything.

But before you go doing all that lets check if it bad to start.

First thing i would do is set the parking brake and put the car in Neutral (engine off). Next i would lift up the right front tire only off the ground and rotate it by hand.

If the Angle gear collar is fine the drive shaft will rotate, If the drive shaft doesn't rotate than the collar gear is your issue.

If the angle gear passes than your looking at either the DEM module, AOC (haldex) pump or Pressure sensor.

A easy way to determine which one it might be is the have the car scanned with a dice/vida, since if there is a issue with the haldex the DEM will most like DEM-0006 and DEM-0007 are most common.

My AWD issue was DEM-0006 code which related to the AOC pump had died or really clogged, but since to find out if it was bad i would have to removed the drive shaft already i decided to just replace it.

The screen on my old pump was clogged so i made sure to clean out the hole it was in along with replacing the AOC filter and fresh haldex fluid added.

Everything is good to go now for me.
    Thanks for all that info sir! I will run some tests tomorrow. Is any faulty code pickup up by those cheap EBay Vida/Dice readers?

I emailed the dealer that I bought the car with, I bought it As Is so there are no warranties but I coulnt have never noticed the AWD was not working till the snow yesterday. Hopefully the Volvo dealership can help me out.

Nope
    VIDA DICE or your dealer only
    Do not go one step farther until the stored codes are read
    If there are no codes then it's mechanical.
    AT 140K the odds of just needing a collar gear are slim, (this is from experience) the gear/spline in the angle gear is also probably stripped requiring a new AG (and collar).

Sorry but this is the ugly truth.

Be positive, it may only be the pressure sensor
    This is why the codes must be read first. However, if you can put it on jack stands to see if the propshaft and rear tires are spinning. If it isn't then you know it's mechanical
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

So I will test it today, I should lift the front right wheel in Neutral and rotate by hand? The whell should spin freely?

Good news is the Volvo dealership might pick up the bill to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
    So I will test it today, I should lift the front right wheel in Neutral and rotate by hand? The whell should spin freely?

Good news is the Volvo dealership might pick up the bill to fix it.
    Correct.

Getting the car scanned with a Vida/Dice will give you the DEM codes you need (if its not the collar), but the wheel test is quick and easy.

Just set the parking brake and put the car in neutral. You can lift either front tire but it's easier to turn the right front tire for me, since i lay on the ground behind the right front tire and have a great view of the driveshaft while turning the tire with my right hand.

Of course if you have two people than it's a lot easier.

I have the same issue. 2005 xc70, 150k. Did not raise the front tire...I reached under the car and was able to spin the drive shaft in Park. Spins freely, no binding and no noise. This can't be good...do this sound like a mechanical issue? should I still perform the front tire test? Thanks!

Sounds like the angle gear collar is stripped.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickerino View Post
    I have the same issue. 2005 xc70, 150k. Did not raise the front tire...I reached under the car and was able to spin the drive shaft in Park. Spins freely, no binding and no noise. This can't be good...do this sound like a mechanical issue? should I still perform the front tire test? Thanks!
    Yeah, don't bother at this point, the angle/collar is bad so that needs to be fixed first
    However, you should have the stored codes read to make sure it has no other issues before you spend big money
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by volvospeed70 View Post
    Correct.

Getting the car scanned with a Vida/Dice will give you the DEM codes you need (if its not the collar), but the wheel test is quick and easy.

Just set the parking brake and put the car in neutral. You can lift either front tire but it's easier to turn the right front tire for me, since i lay on the ground behind the right front tire and have a great view of the driveshaft while turning the tire with my right hand.

Of course if you have two people than it's a lot easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Nope
    VIDA DICE or your dealer only
    Do not go one step farther until the stored codes are read
    If there are no codes then it's mechanical.
    AT 140K the odds of just needing a collar gear are slim, (this is from experience) the gear/spline in the angle gear is also probably stripped requiring a new AG (and collar).

Sorry but this is the ugly truth.

Be positive, it may only be the pressure sensor
    This is why the codes must be read first. However, if you can put it on jack stands to see if the propshaft and rear tires are spinning. If it isn't then you know it's mechanical
    This is what VIDA/Dice showed:

So basically there is nothing wrong with the DEM :-( so basically I'm screwed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast