Default Are '01 and '05 Key Fobs Interchangable?

Pretty much what the title asks. Can an earlier style remote be programmed to open an '05 XC70? The big ass folding key remote to my '05 is bad and will have to be replaced. I find the little triangular fob style remote from my '01 much more comfortable to carry. Are the electronics similar to where the older fob style can be programmed to lock/unlock my '05? If I have to buy one I'd rather get the one that's easier to carry.

No. You need a new FOB and use code on envelope to program FOB into car.

There's a cheaper way to do so if you have DiCE.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
    Can an earlier style triangular remote be programmed to open an '05 XC70?
    As far as I know yes - but it has to be a new remote - and programmed using a real VIDA subscription (via a dice unit)

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    You need a new FOB and use code on envelope to program FOB into car.
    Yes - you must have the code on the packaging the new remote comes in during the programming process

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    There's a cheaper way to do so if you have DiCE.
    For me it would be a 3 day Vida subscription = $146.70 (12/2014), plus ~$25 remote download, plus the remote itself ~$95, and a key ~$25, and programming for it also ~$25 = ~$316 plus labor time to program key and remote.

How can it be done cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    For me it would be a 3 day Vida subscription = $146.70 (12/2014), plus ~$25 remote download, plus the remote itself ~$95, and a key ~$25, and programming for it also ~$25 = ~$316 plus labor time to program key and remote.

How can it be done cheaper?
    I've got a new key + new FOB + programming under $250. One of MVS fellows can program it remotely.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Thanks guys. Your comments are conflicting though, the plan would be to purchase a new old style fob and have the dealer program it if that will work. I'm assuming in this plan that that style remote is still available. Would there be any other place I could have this done less expensively? When I asked about the folding key style I was quoted in the neighborhood of $250. I don't know anything about VIDA or DiCE and probably wouldn't attempt this myself.

250 for a key AND remote is not bad
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

What is wrong with your Key Fob?
    The reason I ask is because the circuit board are the same in both old and new style key fob and are interchangeable.
    So if it's just the remote transponder thats dead, you can just get a new key and transport your circuit board into an used old style key fob from ebay.
    2002 V70XC w/volvoXC.com stickers! MTE Stage 3+

I don't know electronics that well. I sent it out to another member here to be repaired and he found it to be beyond repair, didn't state the particular problem. He said he has a very high success rate with them but mine is shot. I'll probably have to buy a new one unless a used one can be programmed to the car or vice versa

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
    I don't know electronics that well. I sent it out to another member here to be repaired and he found it to be beyond repair, didn't state the particular problem. He said he has a very high success rate with them but mine is shot. I'll probably have to buy a new one unless a used one can be programmed to the car or vice versa
    My wife washed her 2002 V70 key+remote in washing machine, key survived, remote died. I had similar "spare" remote which I bought long ago in a hope that it can be married with the car, so I used it to measure signals in various points on PCB and compare them to what damaged remote gives. There was one dead transistor and short resistor, otherwise circuit was working and feeding signal to RF circuit (but the car didn't react).

Next I moved "my" chip onto donor PCB, still car didn't react to remote. So swapped chips again and looked with oscilloscope at what both output pins drive. Blue is working donor, yellow is mine.

As you see, frequencies are different. In the datasheet there's a note stressed that circuit designer should take extra care of not to pulling up output pin for a prolonged time (second's fraction) or the chip will erase EEPROM. Apparently that's what has happened with my chip in hot water full of detergents.

There's no way to reprogram this chip, at least if you don't have original packaging with the code printed on it.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)