Default Check Brake Light at dash display

Each time brake pedal is depressed the orange triangle lights up at the dash, and displays Check Brake Light.

The brake light strip over the tailgate lights up fine, but not those at the rear driver and passenger lamps.

I have replaced the bulb and check the fuse.
    Removed bulb number 1156, where new bulb from IPD/Flosser is 6671.
    No change.

Any pointer? TIA
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

Have replaced a bunch of these in the REM -

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/8753/...se-micro-relay

to get left and right brake lights to work in various cars. The center brake light continues to work because it is not powered through that relay.

Thank you for the IPD link.

Found some more pertinent info at Resources > How to... http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/h...d-location.pdf.
    Last edited by Xheart; 02-12-2015 at 09:19 AM.
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

I think a shunt in the cargo area fuse/relay box islkinked to brake lights. I also find Left Rear (driver's side in US) has very poor contacts for bulb holder for the two fillament bulb and bulbholder - the long grey plastic thing. For that reason since 'position light out' warnings are invariably that bulb I carry both spare bulbs and bulb holder -harvested at Volvo breakers.