Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Just picked up my 01 XC70 last night

Just bought an 01 XC70 yesterday. 222,000 miles, incredibly clean black on black, carfax with complete lifetime service history performed at 1 volvo dealership.... It really is a beautiful vehicle that seems very tight and reliable. Anyway, when I unlock the doors (with keyfob) and open the drivers door there is a "click, click, click". After taking notice, I found that it is the drivers mirror adjusting up and exceeding travel. Is this a known issue? Does anyone have any idea what this may be caused by? I do not have Vida Dice as of yet, but will be looking into purchasing that. That also leads me to the question of which one in particular should I get? I see multiple, with different software revisions. Does that mean the latest is the best because it will have all revised info up to the latest release? Or are they all the same?

Thanks everyone, and happy to be here!

We still love our XC, so welcome to the club!

First thing I would do is adjust your seat and mirrors, then set them as position 1 on the seat memory. The car learns your settings with each fob, and then tries to set your settings when you unlock the car. I suspect the multiple drivers while this was in the hands of the dealer/salesperson has caused odd settings to be memorized.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (100K, Michelin AS3+, M1 0W40)
    2002 V70-XC (238K, Castrol Edge 0W40)
    2002 V70-T5 (195K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (76K)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Welcome! Curious as to how much you payed for an older one with those miles?
    There are many members here with lots of info to help you.
    TomK
    2006 xc70 Blue/tan 160,000 miles
    2002 BMW 530i Sterling/Black 97,000 miles
    2001 Mazda Millenia Sand Mica/Tan 190,000 miles
    2003 VW Passat 1.8T 146,000 miles

Oh, good call! I didn't realize that initiated with the fob. Thanks Astro, much appreciated. Something else that I noticed while driving home was then when in manual shift mode, it would still automatically go up one gear. For instance, I'd take off, shift to 2nd, it would automatically go to third and hold. It also manually shifted up to 4 fine, but then snuck into 5th by itself. Kind of defeats the purpose of manual shifting, so I'm assuming there may be an issue. Any ideas?

Tom, I paid less than 2000. And the reason I bought it was because it is in phenominal shape inside and out, and I have the complete service history in which many of the problematic issues have been taken care of. When I get to a computer that will allow me to post pics, I will do so! Thank you for the warm greetings!

Attempting pictures.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails volvo1.jpg   volvo4.jpg   volvo5.jpg   volvo6.jpg   volvo7.jpg  

Looks great for its age!

Has it had transmission fluid replaced? Transmission is biggest concern on an '01.

Thanks! It hasn't since I've had it, but I believe it has been drained and changed according to it's service history. Apparently, the trans was replaced or something major done to it as well at some point too. Regardless, a trans fluid change will be coming soon. As well as a timing belt, tune up, and all the fun stuff that goes with it. As said before, this vehicle has been nothing but, or at least 95% of it's life Volvo dealer maintained. I know that doesn't set in stone that this will be "worry free", but I'm hoping it will aleviate a lot of the issues and heartache.

Going up a gear sounds like a software thing, I wouldn't sweat it. I'll try it in my T5 this afternoon and report back...

At that age/mileage, take a good look at LCA bushings and front suspension in general, as well as the PCV system. The PCV system on the T5 was pretty clean when I replaced it at 170,000 miles. Looking at it, it didn't need to be done yet, but I'm taking the car out to Colorado, where I will be working temporarily and I will be sans tools, so I was pre-emptively replacing known trouble systems. After the PITA of the PCV system plugging up and blowing the intake cam seal on the XC, I didn't want any issues cropping up out there.

Your car looks great!
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (100K, Michelin AS3+, M1 0W40)
    2002 V70-XC (238K, Castrol Edge 0W40)
    2002 V70-T5 (195K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (76K)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Thank you. I really dig the black on black. I don't know how many were produced, but I haven't seen any myself, let alone black XC's. According to the carfax service history, everything in the front suspension has been replaced. LCA bushings, strut mounts, ball joints, etc.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast