Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tie rod question...

I bought inner and outer tie rods from ipdusa about 9 months ago. I just replaced a lot of the rest of the suspenion (front springs, ball joints control arms, sway bar end links) and now I can't get the toe correct. The tie rods seem too long, I.e. I have the front of the tires pointing in.

To get around this I took off the locking nut between the tie rods and now firestone wont do the alignment. I can see their point I guess, but what else can I do? Did the parts I repaced somehow make it that I need different tie rods? I Will honestly admit that I am about to give up on this car. It has been 207k miles, so it is definitely a weathered car, but I assumed with new parts I could at least get the alignment right.

I guess you bought the wrong tie rod(s)
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

There are two available steering racks, SMI and ZF. VIDA shows difference part numbers for both inner and outer tie rods for the respective racks. You will note that none of the aftermarket sources note this difference. I know on my '02 I bought Lemforder inners and Moog outers and I have just enough thread to adjust toe. If I needed any more toe-out the combination wouldn't work. So other than paying stupid money for dealer-supplied parts, my only suggestion would be to ask around and see if anyone has paid attention to what they have on their cars and what combination works. Even then you may still run into manufacturing differences that might screw that approach up.

This is clearly a case where a stupid design difference on a relatively minor part is not address by aftermarket suppliers who are interested in covering as many aftermarket sale as possible but without having to have an expanded inventory. Anyway, it would be interesting to see what combinations of rack and inner and outer rods work. So to start that I have an SMI rack with Lemforder inners and Moog outers; and that combination just works, barely.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

If they're not too far off an appropriate sized die could cut threads further down for you.

You know outer tie rods are fairly cheap at Volvo and using the VIN you know you will always get the correct part!
    There are those times and there are those certain parts that you're better off buying a Volvo part.

Timing belt kits too. There must be 3 or 4 different tensioners used between 2003 and 2005 all VIN specific
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

I just had the same tie rod nightmare with the Meyle HD outer tie rods, I had purchased a set through IPD and had issues with getting the alignment to the proper toe. I initially called IPD and at first they suggested it was my inners, so I purchased and replaced the new ones I had just installed with another brand, after an alignment had the same issue. Call IPD again and told them the the Meyle HD tie rods were longer by a few mm compared to the ones I had removes. They quickly addressed the issue and reimbursed me not only the cost of the parts, but the labour on installation and alignment. After all of this I had just put my old tie rod back on and called it a day. They wern't in bad shape, I was only replacing them as I was changing out a whole bunch of other parts. IPD has since removed the meyle HD tierod and are now carrying TRWs.

I was chatting with mechanic the other day, and he told me he just had a similar issue to mine with lemforder rods compared to OE rods. So I'd say stick with OE.
    Last edited by Antherzoll; 08-10-2014 at 04:25 PM.
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

Well, I put the locking nuts back on and took it back to Firestone to do the align (again). I figured if they could just get me in the ballpark I would have to live with it. It is frustrating that IPD would sell tie rods that they say fit the car that do not, and if it is VIN specific they should say something I would think.

Anyways, lo and behold it is in spec! Finally after replacing the front springs, control arms, ball joints, and sway bar end links I have got this thing to be back in alignment. Now off to go get tires. I was looking at the Yokohama Avid Ascend for their purported durability. Thoughts anyone?
    Current fleet:
    2013 Toyota Sienna
    2007 Dodge 1500 Megacab
    2003 XC70
    2003 HD Road King Classic
    2001 HD Sportster 1200

I have the Yokohama Avid Envigor on my 2005 XC70, and I like those, they are a little more performance oriented. I have the Avid Ascend on my wife's 2008 XC90, less performance and more touring type tire, which is how she drives. Those are also nice and quiet. It depends on what you are after.

I was looking at replacing inner and outer tie rods, and saw a few comments on FCP's site that some of the replacements were too long. I was a bit baffled as to what to order, but now I'll look at Moog and TRW.

As far as tires, I just had a set of General Altimax RT43's installed a few weeks ago. I like them a lot. They're quiet, snmooth, and appear to be good in the rain. Also, the tread looks as if it will be very good in the snow. I did a bit of research before purchasing, and these were very highly rated by tire rack in a comparison test. I also seem to have picked up about 1mpg over the Contis I replaced.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

I paid $120/ea locally.
    Silver '07 Adventure Series

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
    I just had the same tie rod nightmare with the Meyle HD outer tie rods, I had purchased a set through IPD and had issues with getting the alignment to the proper toe. I initially called IPD and at first they suggested it was my inners, so I purchased and replaced the new ones I had just installed with another brand, after an alignment had the same issue. Call IPD again and told them the the Meyle HD tie rods were longer by a few mm compared to the ones I had removes. They quickly addressed the issue and reimbursed me not only the cost of the parts, but the labour on installation and alignment. After all of this I had just put my old tie rod back on and called it a day. They wern't in bad shape, I was only replacing them as I was changing out a whole bunch of other parts. IPD has since removed the meyle HD tierod and are now carrying TRWs.

I was chatting with mechanic the other day, and he told me he just had a similar issue to mine with lemforder rods compared to OE rods. So I'd say stick with OE.
    ohhh man! I should have done some research and read this thread! I got into the same problem with IPD Meyle HD Tie Rod Ends. I just did the 4 wheel alignment today and the shop couldn't align my steering wheel straight. Lucky I still had the old tie rod end to compare with the new one! The guy from the shop compared them and told me the Meyle HD one is 10mm longer than the old one so there wasn't enough adjustment to be made to straighten the steering wheel! I'll have to contact IPD and hopefully get the replacement parts and get the alignment done again! I just checked IPD website and found that they are still selling the Meyle HD tie rod ends!
    FYI, I also had the inner Meyle tie rod but I compared the length and it was the same as the original one!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast