Default Best Route for Cross Country drive in Winter?? NC to TN to WA

Hey Guys!

Planning a XC Trip from Charlotte NC into Chelan WA in late January .

My driving partner has done multiple xc trips in winter, but out of reliability We've decided to take my car, I have a 2002 v70cx with 186K on it. This will be my first time going Cross Country with my V70cx in the winter(Late January). I have been religious with the maintenance in it( Last Trans flush was at 185k, Routine Oil Changes, New tires, new brakes/rotors, hubs, Axles, K&N Airfilter, Alternator, sparkplugs, coil packs, and many other repairs. (lets just say working on it is my favorite pastime)

My tentative plans will be to Take I-40 to Nashville to pick up my Driving Partner.
    from there I plan on staying on I-40
    then cutting over to I-15 up I-84 then into Washington.
    and I will be watching weather and make adjustments based on road conditions.

I would love some input or advice from people who have made this trip, or ones similar to it.

I haven't done the trip from the east.
    I-40 looks good in being far enough south that you shouldn't run much for winter weather. Running through Las Vegas and then north you should be good until you get more into Utah. Then you will start to hit more cold winter weather but heading west from Salt Lake City should keep you out of the worst (cold and snow) of it.
    Once you hit snow the interstates will be the roads that get looked after first so secondary highways are not worth going on unless you get local info saying otherwise.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
    I haven't done the trip from the east.
    I-40 looks good in being far enough south that you shouldn't run much for winter weather. Running through Las Vegas and then north you should be good until you get more into Utah. Then you will start to hit more cold winter weather but heading west from Salt Lake City should keep you out of the worst (cold and snow) of it.
    Once you hit snow the interstates will be the roads that get looked after first so secondary highways are not worth going on unless you get local info saying otherwise.
    Thanks for the input, we don't have very many plans off the beaten path(just driving around the clock to get to our destination) maybe stopping at my relatives in Boise, but they live just off the interstate.