Default Window switch issue.

Well It looks like things are starting to get old and worn on the beast.

A bit ago my drivers door switch window switches and child lock switch just stopped working. Cranked up the VIDA and DICE and pulled this code:

831: DDM-B11D187 LIN bus circuit #1 Bus signal/Message Failure. Message missing.

Found the wiring diagram for the DDM (drivers door module). Checked all of the fuses and found that they were good. Next step would be to tear into the door and check the connections in the door and the wiring harness. All appeared to be OK.

All of the wiring in the door was good which I expected as there is really nothing in the door that could damage the wiring. Using the second wiring diagram the the LIN BUS goes to the left rear door as well. Easy to disconnect the left rear door connector and check the resistance from the left front door wires to the left rear. Done and no issues found.
    Further staring and caused me to check the power wire to the window switch, component 3/176 in the first wiring diagram blue/white wire in the connector 2 position.

Finally a problem found. The power wire to the window switch has no power even though the fuses are all good. Main suspect is the wiring harness from the body to the door. Pulled things apart there and found that the wire was open. Repaired it and every thing now works.

The repair was enough to get things working. Come summer I will be spending some quality time pulling the harness out of the body and properly repairing the harness with soldered splices as the rest of the wires are going as well.
    Last edited by ssicarman; 09-24-2022 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Flickr not allowing links to message boards

Is it just 'age' of the harness that has caused the failure? Or has it been caused by something else?

Sadly due to working hardening of the wires. The opening and closing of the door moving the wires back and forth all the time does them in. I had hoped with the way the harness ran that this would not be an issue with this car.

Quote Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
    Sadly due to working hardening of the wires. The opening and closing of the door moving the wires back and forth all the time does them in. I had hoped with the way the harness ran that this would not be an issue with this car.
    Sounds very similar to the wires that are connected to the microswitch and inside the top of the water tap in our 'TinTent'!

With the movement of the tap from left to right when you go from Hot Water to Cold Water, the wires which are copper harden up and break, but because they are fixed to the microswitch you have to replace the complete tap as you can get the wires out but you cannot get the new ones with the microswitch back in!

Lousy design!