Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHicks View Post
    I don't agree. I've installed rebuilt axles in hundreds of vehicles over the last 25 years, and have never yet had a problem with any of them.

It's possible that I've just gotten lucky, or that owners have sold their cars before putting too many miles on them, but again... no problems.

On the other hand, I've tried to re-assemble CVJoints without much luck. It's really tough to get them cleaned out properly, and seems to be even tougher to get the CV Boot to stay on.
    I'm on my 3rd rebuilt axle on the XC in a few thousand miles.

Maybe the third time is a charm. The first two were garbage. I've been able to exchange them, so the cost is my time, but vibration on acceleration is getting old. And yep, it's the passenger side front axle.

If this doesn't work, I'm rebooting the old one, which I saved....
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    I'm on my 3rd rebuilt axle on the XC in a few thousand miles.

Maybe the third time is a charm. The first two were garbage. I've been able to exchange them, so the cost is my time, but vibration on acceleration is getting old. And yep, it's the passenger side front axle.

If this doesn't work, I'm rebooting the old one, which I saved....
    Don't know what to say other than that I'm sorry to hear that.

The most recent ones I installed are on a friend's '96 850. He's completely in love - says it drives like a dream. But it has only been about a month, so we'll see.

On other forums, raxles.com gets good reviews. They don't keep XC axles on the shelf, but told me they'd rebuild mine for about $200 each.
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.

The last time I replaced an axle it was on my VW. I was in grad school and I paid a highly respected German import shop big bucks ~$300 to replace with a high quality axle. That axle failed on me in about 14 months/14,000 miles. No luck on warranty since I was 300 miles from the shop when it failed. When this happened I was even more broke and had non-english speaking mechanic in a small town replace the axle with a $60 unit from a chain auto parts store. Cost me $120 out the door, including tow, part and labor. That cheapy axle is/has been perfectly smooth up to 100 mph for over 5 years 70,000 miles. I'll never waste my time/money on "quality" rebuilt axles again. Auto part store models can be easily warrantied and for the $$ saved it is totally worth the gamble...though I can't really even call it a gamble as I've never had a bad one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12