Default AM band went silent - FM, CD, and AUX still work fine

AM band went silent (the display part and station buttons continue to do their thing, but no sound comes out if the AM button is selected). FM, CD, and AUX still work fine.

Is this more likely to be an antenna problem (cable unplugged, etc.), or a dying receiver ($$$$$$$)?

Ours is a low miles 2008 XC70. Thanks in advance for any tips and things I can try to diagnose/fix the problem.
    M D "Doc" Nugent - www.carcentric.com (my other cars)

Common issue, unfortunately. Unsure though if it amounts to a connector/antenna issue, or new head unit as both have been cited as fixes.

The exact same thing happened to my '08 xc70 about one year ago. The dealer told me that the 'head' needs to be replaced at a cost of almost $1,000. Needless to say that I have not done that repair. The good news is that there have not been any other problems with the audio system.

could be a software problem too but that may only be for static on am

Not sure about the current model XC70, but a few years ago I know it was a common problem with the C30/S40/V50 models. As phlegm noted - its something to do with the antenna earth connection or something. Happened to our '09 C30 about 3 years ago and was fixed under warranty by (apparently) replacing the whole head unit. I appreciate this probably doesn't help you directly because your '08 XC70 is likely well out of warranty, but maybe you can pick up a replacement head at a wreckers (also appreciating that there are probably not that many wrecked current model XC70s around).

Tony

Same thing happened to my 08 XC70. Mine was still under warranty so the Dealer fixed it no questions asked.
    They did not say what the problem had been!!

Mine was a head unit - fortunately, replaced under warranty.

Common fault with the XC70's.
    These guys http://xemodex.com/us/ fix your modules for a fraction of the cost of dealer intervention.