Default Can I Use Catch Can to Replace Stock PCV System 2001 XC?

I have read a lot of threads on this, but none that I found give a straight answer. I don't really want to get into a debate about IF I should do this instead of replacing the stock system, my question is will it work and properly ventilate the crankcase.

I am the original owner of this 2001 with 144k miles. Synthetic oil run 85-90% of the time. The car needs a lot of work but the engine runs strong. After I replaced the ETM (xemodex rocks! and so does Howard64, thanks for the help) I noticed that I get the blue smoke out of the oil dipstick tube. I do not leak oil anywhere that I can see and I want to keep it that way. I have a short commute to work and could potentially drive this car for another few years but I with the original transmission and need for tires, suspension, brakes (soon) and a handful of other known issues, I don't want to tie up too much time or money in it. If the tranny goes, that may be the final straw.

Anyway- I jut want to reduce the pressure in the crankcase and reroute it back through the intake. I don't care if it is pretty and I don't mind emptying the catch can at each fill up if it was needed that often.

Will it work? Thanks in advance

I can not see it not working as guys do it in the BMW world all the time. It has to have been done at some point by someone, weather it was a success or not is another. Would like to find our myself.
    TomK
    2006 xc70 Blue/tan 160,000 miles
    2002 BMW 530i Sterling/Black 97,000 miles
    2001 Mazda Millenia Sand Mica/Tan 190,000 miles
    2003 VW Passat 1.8T 146,000 miles

Last edited by Antherzoll; 11-22-2014 at 06:48 PM.
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles