Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Overland to Morocco.
    Winter 2014-2015

Agdz, Town Centre….

At the end of a 3km walk from the campsite is the centre of Agdz, while here are a few pictures from there as we walked in to get some groceries today….

As we set off up the road from the campsite we pass this side street, which surprisingly has blocks between the houses while the pavement alongside the road has nothing. Interesting also to see the rainwater gutters sticking out of the walls….

As we get to the last street before the main road we turn left and see these gaily painted shop fronts….

This one is an interior designer for your bedroom, lounge or dining room from the pictures over the door….

While not sure what this one offered as it was closed with no sign over the front…

As the Boutique was also closed….

As we then continue to the main road we pass this Wood Machinists and thought the additional ‘Rock Weight’ when gluing all the pieces of wood together was novel, thoughtful and totally re-cyclable!….

Entrance to the outdoor market….

In which there was not much activity in the shops under the arches…..

While this is the centre of the town…..

With a few ‘Tourist Shops’ selling all sorts of items, and the carpets/rugs were for sale and were not drying out in the Sun!.....

Groceries purchased we made our way back to the campsite passing this trailer and dune buggy’s as we had hoped as the house behind looked so nice it might have been moved before we came back, but our luck was out….

While we did manage to get a picture of the rather nice Front Entrance and Door to the house…..

Tomorrow we move on to Ouarzazate, and with this HEAT which feels like 30C, I am sure the AC will be working overtime for the trip even though it is not a long drive!….

Overland to Morocco.
    Winter 2014-2015

Agdz to Ouarzazate….

Back on the road once again we are into ‘Mountain Climbing to get to Ouarzazate with a supposed speed restriction of 60Kmph for the first 19Km but the way we kept getting overtaken as we stuck to the speed limit it makes you wonder!….

As we came to this party of 4x4 vehicles as we spotted some of them taking a ‘comfort break’ against the rocks, another two of their group went passed us a bit earlier, clearly over the speed limit as they came around a blind bend on our side of the road!...

Next up was a rather slower driver as we came to one of the hairpin bends on the mountain road….

The bridge that survived the storm!...

Continuing to the top…..

We then got this view as we came down the other side….

As we enter the village of Ait Saoun which is the place we could see looking down the valley in the earlier picture….

As we spot these two ladies taking their bundles of animal feed home….

While the roadside was level we are not sure if this was an optical illusion on the house or it had sunk on one side!....

While on the other side of the village about 1 km further on is this Café/Restaurant….

We think this is a watch tower….

Coming up in front is the entrance to….

‘Province de Ouarzazate’…..

Oh not another one?….

Washed out bridge with replacement in the process of being built….

In one of the fields which had a large growing area alongside we spot this solar panel array which was in use to drive a water pump extracting water from a well….

As we get closer to the town of Ouarzazate….

While a little bit further and it appears in the distance…..

As we got a nice salute from the driver of this army vehicle!….

Then passing two more ladies collecting animal feed….

We enter the outskirts of the centre….

Then crossing the river….

We are diverted onto the Wadi as a new bridge is being built…

With a few more nice views to pass…..

Shortly after we arrive at the Municipal Campsite in Ouarzazate….
    Off to have a look around the town tomorrow!

Overland to Morocco.
    Winter 2014-2015

Ouarzazate… 1st day

After arriving and getting set up, this was Sunset last night….

While looking the other way is the Moon and us!....

While we meet our new four legged friend called ‘Diego’ yesterday as he arrived with his French owners.
    I soon made a good friend of him after speaking with his owners as he likes playing with plastic bottles, and in this picture he was waiting for me to kick a rather large one for him….
    (He is 3 years old, full of fun, fabulous temperament, 50% German Shepard & 50% Collie)

After spending some time with ‘Diego’ it was time to hoof it off into town….

But as nothing had changed except that the authorities were digging up the kerbstones and pavements to install new ones making getting into the centre rather difficult, so we came back and set off from the campsite in the opposite direction to take a look at the large amount of water which was coming closer than the Barrage which is by the campsite…..

As we walk along the road leading to the water we see all these Bamboo plants growing…..

That the locals pick and make into trellis panels for around their houses!...

While the majority of the houses along the road were of newer build, we still came to gaps where the older houses were still in place on top of the rock face….

As we then see the water which has a set of Goalposts standing in it with presumably a football pitch under the water!
    It seems that the water here was the result of the tremendous storm in November 2014 and is still going down ...

While a bit further along we come to this Sheep Pen with 5 Sheep inside and a small Baby Lamb which was on the other side of the wall inside the pen…..

Then as we move around the houses at the end of the road we see in the distance the SNOW on top of the High Atlas Mountains which we hope will not affect or stop our trip over the Tizi-n-Tichka Pass in a few days! ….

More of the Bamboo and fencing….

As we can also see in the distance Ait Benhaddou….

As we then look further left we see this big gathering of people, and walk over to take a look, which turns out to be an open market….

Fruit & Vegetables, New & Used Clothing & Housewares were all on sale, which I got 3 pairs of Moroccan made socks for 24 Dirham while the stall holder in the centre of town wanted 40 Dirham for just 2 pair this morning which I would not buy….

Needing some Bananas we spotted these on a stall….
    I think the only way to get fresher ones is to go and pick them yourself, while the stall holder was very happy for me to take the picture….

Must admit that going around the Open Air Market was good fun especially when responding to the many “Bonjour’s” with “Salam Alikum” and seeing the smile appear on the persons face….
    Or seeing a baby or small child held on its Mother’s back with a big scarf and saying ‘Hello’ a few times and getting a grin off the baby or child as well as a smile off ‘Mum’....

Time to head back to the campsite as the Sun goes down again and the temperature drops, so we choose a different route back & detour down some of the alleys between the houses…..

Finally ending up on a main road passing a Wood Machinist/Cabinet Makers premises….

With this view South and a new housing complex currently painted white, but not yet occupied, which is one of two that are under construction….

Now let me introduce you to 2 Moroccan Breads….

On the left you have the traditional ‘Hobbs’ baked in an oven, while on the right you have a Tafarnout which is cooked normally by a Ladies Co-operative on ‘hot rocks’ and you have to check none are still attached even though there are a lot of Dentists in Morocco!
    While the Tafarnout is warm, with some butter spread on it and some Raspberry or Bramble Jam/Jelly it tastes Luvverly!

Darn it my mouth is watering already just writing the words!

Weather forecast is a Windy day tomorrow while for those folks reading this who are in much colder climates, you will be pleased to learn that as the temperature here dropped significantly over last night, the heating was used this morning to warm up the ‘TinTent’ and that is the first time since we left the UK last year!

Never pleased to hear of others suffering in the cold. Always happy to commiserate with fellow sufferers though. Not to mention compare the temperature various body parts begin to fall off at.

I have shown Diegos picture to a few people and apparently he is now in danger of being dog napped.
    The traditional bread looks very tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
    Never pleased to hear of others suffering in the cold. Always happy to commiserate with fellow sufferers though. Not to mention compare the temperature various body parts begin to fall off at.

I have shown Diegos picture to a few people and apparently he is now in danger of being dog napped.
    The traditional bread looks very tasty.
    Although it is a couple of degrees warmer this morning we are saving the Gas & burning some Electricity with one bar of the Electric Fire on, if we put both bars on I think we would kill the campsite electric supply!

On the question of 'Diego' while you can contribute to the 'Plastic Bottle Playing Collection' for him there is now a list of 'I wanna be your owner' in place and as I was at number 10 position I can include your name but you will be a few places further down.

Even the Moroccans who are nervous of big dogs are taking a shine to him, I think the 'wagging' tail has got something to do with that!

The Tarfanous was very nice thank you. I had a piece last night, warmed up with butter and jam/jelly! Really went down a treat!

Overland to Morocco.
    Winter 2014-2015

Ouarzazate….second day

As we were expecting the wind to pick up thanks to the weather forecast we decided to take a circular trip in ‘Flamenco Red’ out to Ait Benhaddou via the N9 and then onto the P1506 which would take us up through the mountains, along the valleys and through the villages to a place called Telouet and a large Kasbah, before we then go a few more miles to re-join the N9 at the Tizi-n-Tichka Pass to head back to Ouarzazate and the campsite….

We only covered 128 Miles for the trip, but my good lady managed to flatten the battery on the camera! So here are the results, and BELT UP because it gets rather ‘bumpy’ in a number of places due to the effect of that storm in November on the road….

Heading out of Ouarzazate with these different street lights….

While the SNOW is still visible….

As we come down the hill we see the ‘Out of Town Market’…

As we pass these two Donkey Riders making their way there….

Not long after and we make a right turn onto the P1506 road which initially takes us into Ait Benhaddou….

Then out the other side we have to hang back a short while as we wait for this ‘Hay Truck’ to pull over and let a delivery of one or two bales to be made to a person in one of the houses….

If you look closely you can just see the top of the ‘djelaba’ covering the head of the man who is on top and throws down the hay bale when a delivery is required….

Next up is another bridge being re-built as we bump our way over the temporary road as the river continues through a couple of concrete pipes…..

As we then come to the first village…..

And the Almond trees that are starting to blossom….

Rendering being applied to a new building in the village which is an Auberge & Restaurant…..

It’s a real twisty windy road, so don’t fall asleep as you will miss some fantastic scenery!....

OMG! PLEASE don’t let that BIG Rock slip!….

Next ‘bumpy’ but intact bridge. It was ‘bumpy’ as the water went over the top and deposited soil which has since dried out but is not flat…..

Hill climb in front….

Nicely over the top and coming down the other side…..

Next village which is small…..

Then another hill climb….

While on the right down below is another village…..

Then over the top and down the other side while keeping an eye out for any loose rocks!….

As we come to next….

Then it’s……

As we climb out and look back (But I did stop to let my good lady take the next picture)……

As the road continue to twist and turn along the valley…..

Then we get to this ‘interesting bit’…..

As I went back to take the pictures ‘Flamenco Red’ got a couple of minutes to cool down….

Then it was over the top of that bit and down the other side…..

As we looked down into the valley we could see houses along the side of the river, but could not see any identified pathways down from the road as they are normally marked with something like an old tyre or painted stones on either side of the path….

As the colours in the rocks and shrubbery became more vivid and interesting….

As we come into…..

Some of the faces of the hills/mountains look like a Neapolitan ice cream….

As we roll into…..

With all the pictures that were taken during this trip, I have had to make it into 2 ‘updates’ so in processing them I am afraid the rest will be input tomorrow as there are too many to upload tonight!

Having said that I don’t think you will be disappointed, well I hope not anyway!

Overland to Morocco.
    Winter 2014-2015

Ouarzazate….second day. Continued….

Continuing on from the previous part…..

As we get around the corner into Tajegujite…

Then off on the next section…

Just keep to the right of the white painted stones in the road which have been used to identify a ‘long crack’ in the road surface that might fall away if we go on it!….

As the next village appears…..

As we pass the ‘Giants gnarled and knobbly fingers’ after he knocked the load off the truck!…..

Next ‘bumpy’ bridge! Hold on tight!!!….

As we get through this next village…..

The tarmac which was not that good or wide disappears completely as the road is being re-built and at present is just packed down dirt, but the scenery is fantastic while the camera does not really do it justice….

As we come up to the ‘Road leveller’ which has a large blade on the front like a snow plough except this one levels the earth on the road and pushes the excess off to the side….

A slow truck coming towards us but still a lot of dust, so hold your breath for a short while as we get past!...

Now hold your breath again as the wind just whipped up this mini dust storm!….

As we pass the civil engineering site who are preparing the road ‘metaling’ (Crushed rocks) for the surface….

Nice little and not very deep ford as we go over I think it cleans as well as cools the tyres down!……

Interesting rock formation in the next village…..

As my good lady zooms in closer…Hmmm….

WOW! A Police Station virtually in the middle of nowhere!....

Nice Hotel & Restaurant which would have been a nice stop for some lunch but it was closed….

So we pushed on into Telouet….

Finding a restaurant with a very old entrance door, (Notice the Wooden Hinge at the top?)

While inside….

Moroccan candle lamps for when the electricity fails…..

After a lunch of bread, salad, pomme frites, omelette, that was cooked in a Tajine which meant the bottom was well done while the top was not quite firm, but was very nice, followed by a very sweet fresh orange, two Fanta Orange drinks & two coffees and a large bottle of mineral water we set off to get back to the N9 main road with the last part of the P1506 road….

This was the road on the other side of Telouet…..

Looking back to Telouet….

While a bit further we could see the Kasbah which was actually built by another member of the family who built the one at Agdz that we went on the tour of…..

While on the other side of the road was this ‘residence’……

So just sit back now and enjoy the scenery!.....

In the middle of the next picture there is a line going from left to right across the mountain, that is the Tizi-n-Tichka Pass that we will hopefully be climbing up over in the next few days, providing the Snow stays away!....

Cos there is still some left down here from the last snowstorm!...

That’s the Pass again as we get closer….

As we make the final climb up to join the Pass, but after getting there we turn left and go down and back to Ouarzazate…..

As we get back to the outskirts of Ouarzazate the wind in howling and the dust/sand is flying, so keep the windows shut as I have shut the air vents, so I just hope the Oxygen lasts till we get back to the campsite!!!

That’s it, were done!!!
    One heck of a day, but I have to say, and I am biased cos I’m over here, It was Fabulous!

Back on the road tomorrow to Skoura and Camping Amridil….

Hope you are still with us?

Overland to Morocco.
    Winter 2014-2015

Skoura….

The afternoon/evening/night before we left Ouarzazate as the wind continued blowing quite strongly the 6 Campers arrived at the campsite and promptly headed for the shelter of the wall which considering the condition of it I think I would have not been taking that sort of chance! ….

As we ‘rocked’ out in the open from the gusts and the fridge vents let in all the sand that was being blown around…..

After a very short drive over to Skoura to Camping Amridil we received a really nice welcome from Karim, and after getting set up joined him for a glass of Moroccan Tea and some home grown Dates which were delicious, after which we went for a look around the campsite and saw immediately some rather good improvements from last year….

The swimming pool is now finished, and the other facilities have been given a really nice makeover…..

While the afternoon peace and quiet was a nice time for catching up on some ‘ZZZZZZing’

The old English ‘TinTent’ is still here next to Reception, the Restaurant & Facilities block….

Then after a really peaceful night a call of nature roused me this morning and as I opened the door of the ‘TinTent’ to go to the Facilities Block I was met with this Sunrise, so had to grab the camera and get it in…..

After breakfast we headed into the village of Skoura which hasn’t changed at all since we were here last year, but after we got a few groceries this ‘machine’ rolled past and the name on the side rang a bell which I thought the guys that read this on the other side of the Pond can relate to….

Getting back to the campsite as it was a nice day I thought we would have a short lesson on ‘Moroccan Wall Building’ like what you see in the next picture...

While a close up shows you one ‘section’…..

Firstly you dig up lots of the soil preferably close to where you will build the wall but not that close, which you put in a pile….

Then after mixing with water and hay to bind the soil, you fill a mould (Which was not available at the time) to make a rectangular ‘Brick’ which weighs in at around 10Kilos (22Lbs)

As you mould the bricks you then remove them carefully from the mould and place them on the ground, leaving them for around 6 days in the HOT sun to dry them out.….
    Once that is done you can either use them directly or stack them up ready for use in lower temperatures when building the wall is easier…..

The building them up with a layer of mud between to bind the bricks together the wall goes up, and when that dries out you apply the render of more mud….

A very labour intensive activity, but once built the wall will last for a very long time…..

It is sure nice "riding" with you folks on this adventure. Kind of different from the snow and rain we have been getting.
    cheers
    Hank

Quote Originally Posted by Da Tow'd View Post
    It is sure nice "riding" with you folks on this adventure. Kind of different from the snow and rain we have been getting.
    cheers
    Hank
    Hi Hank!

Thanks for the compliment.

Looking at where you are I guess you currently have a lot of both the white stuff and the wet stuff, while except for November last year we have been able to stay away from it over here, and hopefully can do so for the remaining days we are here in Morocco!

But.....
    We got down to 0C again last night, so I am now sat here this morning in my Thermals typing this out with a HOT cup of coffee alongside, while the Sun and a clear blue sky is outside!

Should be a nice day again.