Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516

nice looking forward to "our" next adventure
    Hank

Quote Originally Posted by Da Tow'd View Post
    nice looking forward to "our" next adventure
    Hank
    Hi Hank!

Hopefully it won't be long in coming as the 'TinTent' has now been virtually sorted out with some TLC on the Service Points and 2 new tyres as the others were getting a bit 'thin' but after 41,000 Miles it wasn't really surprising!

Next week I start on 'Flamenco Red' as I think a new set of front Disc Pads are on the cards as well as a good clean up to remove possibly a few pounds of 'Sahara Sand'!!!

Wow, this post is amazing. I looked through almost every page and didn't see something I wondered about.
    What was the full loaded weight of your trailer and did you use any special stabilizing hitch?
    We have a 2012 XC 70 T6 and are considering a travel trailer, um, er, caravan. The one we kinda like a lot comes in fully loaded just barely below the 3500 lbs our manual says is the max for the car. I am wondering if maxing out the car's trailer rating creates a need for any special hitch equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by brentcd View Post
    Wow, this post is amazing. I looked through almost every page and didn't see something I wondered about.
    What was the full loaded weight of your trailer and did you use any special stabilizing hitch?
    We have a 2012 XC 70 T6 and are considering a travel trailer, um, er, caravan. The one we kinda like a lot comes in fully loaded just barely below the 3500 lbs our manual says is the max for the car. I am wondering if maxing out the car's trailer rating creates a need for any special hitch equipment.
    Hi brentcd!

Glad you liked the Travel Blog and thanks for the compliment!

Our 'travel trailer' ('TinTent' AKA Caravan) was supposed to be a maximum of 1500Kg (3300lbs) but I think we might have been a wee bit over while the 'TinTent towed like a dream, and at times I still wondered if it was on the back!

The hitch which is a WS3000 fits on a 50mm Ball (2inch) has a couple of pads fitted in the 'Cup' that fits on the tow ball.

The 'Cups' counteract any 'snaking' and I have just replaced them, so when you hitch up and close the handle by pushing it down on the hitch the coupling is under some pressure from the pads that stops the 'snaking'.

Here is a link to the User Guide for the hitch we have fitted although I am not sure if you can get them over that side of the Pond but at least the pictures will give you some idea.

http://www.bpw.co.uk/downloads/downl...ok_WS_3000.pdf

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to hire a 'Travel Trailer' for say a weekend over there to try it out, then if it works out you can look towards getting one?

Thanks a lot. Good info. I have saved the link to that hitch.

Did you do anything to the rear suspension on the car to handle the weight?

Did you have any trouble wiring trailer brakes? My car appears to have the factory receiver hitch and wiring installed, I was told that sometimes wiring in a trailer brake transmitter can be some work.

As far as hiring/renting something I will be looking into that as well.

The trailer we like so far seems to match your's for length and weight, so I would sort of figure my experience should be pretty similar

Thanks a lot. Good info. I have saved the link to that hitch.

Did you do anything to the rear suspension on the car to handle the weight? No, it already has Self Leveling Suspension that was factory fitted when ordered

Did you have any trouble wiring trailer brakes? My car appears to have the factory receiver hitch and wiring installed, I was told that sometimes wiring in a trailer brake transmitter can be some work.

If you mean the Trailer Brake Lights, then 'No' as they operate via a 13 Pin Plug which plugs into a 13 Hole Socket which was fitted as a Volvo Trailer Wiring Harness by the dealer at the same time the Tow Bar was installed.

The trailer doe not have Electronic Brakes but is fitted with Rod & Cable operated brakes driven by the hitch connection, that WS3000 that I sent you the link for is also the Brake 'Actuator'

As far as hiring/renting something I will be looking into that as well. Better to find out if it will tow OK before than after!

The trailer we like so far seems to match your's for length and weight, so I would sort of figure my experience should be pretty similar
    My trailer towing goes back over 40 years.
    I don't think the page likes amending/inserting replies in the Quote, so adding these few words in case it gets rejected!

Wow, alright. Thanks again for the info.
    I think/thought my car's receiver hitch was the Volvo accessory but it only has the 4 pin flat connector. Sounds like I'll have to investigate that just a little more.

Wow, alright. Thanks again for the info.
    I think/thought my car's receiver hitch was the Volvo accessory but it only has the 4 pin flat connector. Sounds like I'll have to investigate that just a little more.
    I am glad you only have 4 pins to contend with as I have been having some 'Fun & Games' for the last 6 months with 13 pins on the 'TinTent/trailer connector as you will see in the next Tour/Trip Blog, but I hope after today that I have finally sorted the 'problem' out!

Hi dear XCovlov70. I have just sent you a private message, I hope you have the chance to read it soon.
    Greetings.

Quote Originally Posted by hu_mo View Post
    Hi dear XCovlov70. I have just sent you a private message, I hope you have the chance to read it soon.
    Greetings.
    Hi hu_mo!
    Read and replied to.....
    Best wishes